Top Shelf Aquatics

PH dropping during cycling

nanephilim

I got my live rock in the tank a few days ago and ever since then, my PH keeps dropping like mad! I've been able to keep it stable with a hefty amount of buffering, But I'm concerned that this might not be normal. I'm using silica sand and I was thinking of adding some aragonite for a natural buffer. Any experiences with this sort of thing would be appreciated greatly:happy:

How low is low? Cycling will tend to pull pH down since high amm and trite levels are up. Buffers will help, some would suggest small water changes. Also, have you checked your alk level? If that is low your pH will tend to be unbalanced.

Cameron

I wouldn’t worry about the pH during your cycle. Your water parameters are going to be off until your cycle completes. 10% weekly water changes might be beneficial, but I doubt that they will correct your water parameters.

During the cycle, I’d check the temperature and test SG, ammonia, and nitrites. Once the cycle is complete, I’d try to correct your nitrates, phosphates, pH, and alkalinity. Partial water changes are an excellent way to fix these parameters.

The same happened to me, dropped to 7.8 - 7.9 for about 3 weeks. I did my first water change and it did seem to go up much. About 7 weeks later and it has been staying at 8.1 or so after a few more slight water changes.

7.8 is not low....it's part of the daily pH swing that will occur during the day w/ co2 and o2 levels fluctuating. You will see levels of 7.8-8.3 all the time...nothing to worry about.

Cameron

Archived