SaltCritters.com

Inconsistent Water Levels in Solana

LebaneseDlight

LebaneseDlight

I have had my Solana 34g up and running for about 2 months now. What has now happened for the 3rd time is the water level in the main display rises while the water level in the 3rd part of the chamber in the rear decreases, causing the pump (and chiller pump, which is adjacent to the main pump,) to dump some aerated water back into the display, and tiny bubbles collect on the surface. When I switch off the surge protector and reset the electricity to the pumps, everything resolves itself. It goes back to normal for a couple weeks, and then happens randomly again :angry:

I have a stock Solana, with the addition of an AquaEuroUSA 1/10 Chiller & RIO HF powerhead feeding the chiller. I don't think it's debris. Hmmm. I'm stumped.

Sounds like either your filters or bioballs need to be cleaned. I removed all of the bioballs in my solana. But, when the overflow sponge filter gets full or the filter floss in the second chamber needs cleaning, the same thing happens in my tank. Next time it happens, try removing both filters and see if the water levels itself out.

LebaneseDlight
Sounds like either your filters or bioballs need to be cleaned. I removed all of the bioballs in my solana. But, when the overflow sponge filter gets full or the filter floss in the second chamber needs cleaning, the same thing happens in my tank. Next time it happens, try removing both filters and see if the water levels itself out.

Thanks for the reply. I was using the bio-balls and threw them out with this last water change to see if it makes a difference. I threw the carbon in that chamber instead (havent been using it up to now). Good to know this may just solve this mystery :) Did you ever change your filter pads? I just wash the original filter pads every week or two. They dont seem to be too filthy at this point. But the blue pad seems to be losing volume. It can surely be improved upon I'm sure.

I have had my Solana 34g up and running for about 2 months now. What has now happened for the 3rd time is the water level in the main display rises while the water level in the 3rd part of the chamber in the rear decreases, causing the pump (and chiller pump, which is adjacent to the main pump,) to dump some aerated water back into the display, and tiny bubbles collect on the surface. When I switch off the surge protector and reset the electricity to the pumps, everything resolves itself. It goes back to normal for a couple weeks, and then happens randomly again :angry:

I have a stock Solana, with the addition of an AquaEuroUSA 1/10 Chiller & RIO HF powerhead feeding the chiller. I don't think it's debris. Hmmm. I'm stumped.

Hope you didn't remove the bio-balls all at once.

LebaneseDlight
Hope you didn't remove the bio-balls all at once.

I did - what's the harm? I have plenty of LR/LS to host a gammut of beneficial bacteria. I've been checking water params daily and trites, trates and amonia are consistent at 0.

Sure enough, yesterday the water level was doing the same thing. I ended up removing the blue filter pad in the back chamber and voila - the water level evened itself out. Seems a bit silly I couldnt figure that one out on my own... I'm going to need to come up with an alternative filter pad. Any recommendations out there (I'll also search archives - I'm sure this is a topic well discussed).

;)

Greg

Sorry so long to reply. I just buy a length of the blue filter floss from the lfs and cut to fit the second chamber. The stock stuff did the same thing after several washes. The flter floss is cheap and you can replace as often as needed.

Glad you got it figured out. It caused me a little headache with my automatic top off almost overflowing the tank.

Archived