Coral Vue Hydros

Just Got An AC110!

Sea Keeper

And man was it expensive! :o

BUT, the truly great thing about this product is it is SO versatile, holds LOADS of extra water, provides TONS of flow, and IS QUIET!

When I set up my 10 gallon nano in my bedroom (on the nightstand right beside my bed actually) I hooked the Eheim 2217 canister filter I had up to it. It was so quiet and smooth and everything has been great, accept that it was UGLY sitting beside the tank and stand, as of course it wouldn't fit inside the little stand. Then I got to reading a lot and thinking, I've got all this floss in this thing and I'm NOT gonna be changing this thing every week. No way! And the last thing I want in a nano reef is nitrates!

So, I got out the old Emperor 400 I was storing under the house. Why wasn't I using it? MAJOR NOISE! But I thought what the heck I can live with it for the extra flow and mechanical filtration it will provide, that I can just change out once a week or even more frequently. MAJOR MAJOR NOISE! The impeller and water noise was about to drive me INSANE! Also something else I had totally forgotten about was bubbles. Micro bubbles everywhere from the completely vertical DROP the water has to take to flow back into the tank and make splashing.

I ran it for two days and finally got a headache from all the NOISE. So, I got so ticked off, I went and bought a Whisper EX70. I figured I've had Aqua Techs, Emperors, and Aqua Clears, now its time to try the new Whisper. It HAS to be quiet, that's what its name implies right? After reading the description I was even more please to see that they had moved the motor/impeller machinism to right on the intake tube to be submerged in the water. Gotta be as quiet as a powerhead for sure then. WRONG!!

I hooked it up and man, the NOISE was worse than the Emperor!! I ran it that day/night and took it back today. I exchanged it for the way more expensive Aqua Clear 110, which I have had before years ago, and it took me all of 5 mins to hook it up and get it running. I had to put more water in there of course, as it holds more than both the Emperor and Whisper. When it fired up and cycled it was SMOOTH as glass. No noise!!

I'm lovin this!!

Forgive me for the rambling post but I just had to share this. I made the mistake of giving my last 110 away and regretted it ever since. It fits right on the 10 gallon, doesn't interfere with the hood, only took up 4 inches in the back (it just did fit), and is gonna provide me with excellent circulation/filtration without disturbing my oolitic sand.

I have seen countless threads on this topic for years and years and people debating which filter is best. Well I've had them all and I can tell you there is no better all around choice than the AC110! ;)

Thanks for reading! :D

I also have the AC110 on my 10 gallon, really great adding a little extra water volume, big fuge/filterfloss/media holding capacity, is quiet in comparison to other filters, i use it to hide my heater, great surface agitation, if anything it has too much flow but there are ways to remedy that.

i got mine new for under 40 =) people at petsmart didnt know what they were doing. i just kept my mouth shut and ran outta there as soon as possible.

They have petsmart's in hong kong? They accept dollar bills?

(Not being racial or anything, JW)

thats when i was still in the states

i got mine new for under 40 =) people at petsmart didnt know what they were doing. i just kept my mouth shut and ran outta there as soon as possible.

haha when i worked at Petsmart, i got mine free because it was "water damaged" and I definitely kept my mouth shut! haha

haha when i worked at Petsmart, i got mine free because it was "water damaged" and I definitely kept my mouth shut! haha

Ummmm, 'scuse me...How does a filter get water damaged?? :lol:

That owns... I'm going to put a couple drops of water in their aquariums for sale and see if I can do the same... "that aquarium is water damaged... I'll pay you 3 cents on the dollar for it."

Wow thanks for all the responses. The filter was set up like I said in 5 mins and it has not been touched since. Still running smooth as glass, no noise (knock on wood).

Part of the benefits of getting this filter is the versatility like I had mentioned and I may consider turning it into a fuge down the road. Right now I'm just using the 'default' contents and mechanical filtration the high flow is providing.

Right now also I just want to try putting some chaeto in the main display, as I really like the look of it.

Archived