9G Nano Reef

joe faria

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've noticed my zoanthus sp. colonies were misteriously disapearing. Today during a wc I saw this little guys in a few polips and since then, they still are closed.

reefII001-1.jpg

Setup a quarantine tank doesn't sound doable right now, because the treatment it won't effective, since this little buggers are all around the nano. Only solution it's to make a treatment to the complet tank.

Any tips for it?

Man you've had a rough experience so far :(

Hi,

It's just part of learning process, I do believe if we go through some problems, in some way we will face the next problem, without major concerns or losses.

+1

nice tank regardless though

thanks for the kind words.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Time for an update....

Done some freshwater dips on affected zoanthus sp., and after a weak treatment stop seeing nudi's, although I've lost some polips.

Got some algae growing, but nothing special, so no worries.... just need upgrade my CUC.

Today's pic.

reefII005-2.jpg

reefII001-2.jpg

Regards,

Joe Faria

Hi,

just sharing a pic of my serial killer blue leg....

reefII001-3.jpg

In two months he killed one green leg hermit, a cleaner shrimp and several nassarius and cerithes snails :rant::angry:

Regards,

Joe Faria

did you take out the dead body of the cleaner? also get rid of the hermit

Yes, I removed the dead body.... about the hermit, it's a possibility

Also, that is not a blue leg hermit.

Tank looks nice though.

Thanks for the comment about the tank.

About the electric blue hermit, here in Portugal the common name it's blue leg, that's why the confusion.... never expected this one to be so agressive...

Still curious how the pepper shrimp never been attacked.

Hi,

Today's pics and new addition....

While collecting some NSW, I took the chance and caught this little fellow.

reefII002-2.jpg

And my tank with some algae

reefII001-4.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics

i like the tank!

:huh:

how does everyone have coraline on the walls! i have it only it on my rocks :rant:

Thanks....

About coraline, I don't do nothing special, only 2 gal WC, 2 a 3 times per week with natural sea water.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Got some news....

By the way he's not the king of the tank anymore. Today I colected some NSW and few new friends from a shallow pool.

Take a look.

27b07ad0.jpg

1efb8201.jpg

Caught a ermit crab, honestly I thought it was a snail, only noticed it was a crab at home.

5a7b4140.jpg

Hannibal inspecting new mate and he attacks.

ffee1ce1.jpg

59520a74.jpg

37ed079f.jpg

But something happened.... Hannibal lost his battle and he's running away.... Incredible. Just have a look at the video

crab running away

New crab in a new shell

59a855b8.jpg

2a9bfecc.jpg

852106c6.jpg

Regards,

Joe Faria

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Got some curious things to report....

It's been nearly 2 months, I started to noticed some algae growing on my tank, and then started to do normal stuff, decrease the amount of food given to the inhabitants,more and larger water changes, several long blackouts periods (the largest was a full weak) and the algae never disapeared, in the other hand just keep to increase and took the whole tank.

I've noticed as well some critters started to die off, ceriths, nassarius snails, hermits are gone now.

I started to think, I'm no good with marine or something was seriously wrong. So today, I took the day off and decided not take my 3 year old son to the school.

Like a normal internet addicted, I was looking for more info about everything I'm interested (fish, corals, shrimp, crypts, moss,etc., just to say a few ones), I saw my son going to the kitchen and returning to his spot where he can see the tank. Curious wit what he was doing, I decided to take a look and for my surprise, he was with the sugar pot in one hand, and with the other hand just pouring sugar into the tank.

I found the cause of my algae bloom....

I asked my son what he was doing and, he just said ''Nemo likes it!!!''

I losted some time and explained he could kill the little fish. He was sad.... he said sorry, he thought it was food for the fish.

Late at the afternoon, my wife arrived home. I told her what I saw Daniel doing and she gave a big laugh....''That's why he asked every morning for some sugar''....

Now my question, what would you do to start to reduced the algae in the tank? (avoid to refer not have my son near of it :D )

Regards,

Joe Faria

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tank.

My son put a bunch of fish food in one of my tanks. Kids and tanks don't always go together! :angry:

I think you just need to cut out the sugar, (hah) keep up water changes & the algae should go away due to lack of nutrients.

C

Nice tank.

My son put a bunch of fish food in one of my tanks. Kids and tanks don't always go together! :angry:

I think you just need to cut out the sugar, (hah) keep up water changes & the algae should go away due to lack of nutrients.

C

Thanks Carinya...

Update...

3537290120_acd7fd2452.jpg?v=0

Still got some algae, but much less. Lot's of wc's and blackout periods are sorting the problem.

Regards,

Joe Faria

Archived