SaltCritters.com

Petco salt mix

rev138

I noticed at my local Petco that they're now selling their own brand of salt. It's cheaper than IO, but only slightly.

Has anyone used it/tested it/had an experience with it one way or another?

Thanks! :)

If you have a PetSmart near by - you can get a 150 gallon Bucket of IO salt for 35 bucks by logging onto their website - printing the page - and walking into your local store to honor the web price.

Well, I gave it a shot and just did a round of water changes. Nothing has dropped dead yet. :P

can you check your parameters and post them here.

i personally would likely never use it, but i am interested in seeing what the tests reveal.

I honestly wouldn't trust it. The boxed Catalina water they used to sell was for sure no good!

But on the flip side, they don't make their own salt, someone makes it for them. it could be I/O, or Reef Crystals or who knows what... The question is who makes it for them...

I honestly wouldn't trust it. The boxed Catalina water they used to sell was for sure no good!

But on the flip side, they don't make their own salt, someone makes it for them. it could be I/O, or Reef Crystals or who knows what... The question is who makes it for them...

the lowest bidder

Its probably IO, rebranded.

It definitely isn't the same as the catalina water, as the catalina water is NSW. You can't dry out NSW to get a mix, it just doesn't work. The ions form covalent bonds in the absence of water, and covalent bonds don't break easily. I.e., dehydrated NSW is insoluble. This is why synthetic salt mixes are used. If it were possible to just dry out NSW, don't you think that's all anybody would use?

For the record, I use nothing but catalina water for water changes on my 20L. Say what you like about petco, but you really can't argue with the results, at least in my case. I can't speak for their salt mix, as I haven't tried it, but I would be willing to bet it is just a rebranded major name, like IO.

I think they sell like 2 brands of salt, at least they do here, those are Oceanic and IO I would have to say its one of those two brands just repackaged

StevieT, helping answer your questions before they were even asked. ;):P

If I had to guess, I'd say the PetCo salt is probably I/O...

StevieT, helping answer your questions before they were even asked. ;):P

If I had to guess, I'd say the PetCo salt is probably I/O...

:lol:

I would say I/O as well, that or Morton :D

I've used Petco's brand before I transferred to Natural Ocean Water. I had pretty good experience with it. It's easy to work with, but as with all synthetic brands, you need to let it age for a couple of hours or over night before using it. Can be corrosive at higher salinity marks.

Archived