Pod Your Reef

Need help with Powerhead placement in my 30 gal hex! pics included

pjewett

So I'm dying to get my powerheads placed correctly so I can stop putting my hands in this tank and let my inhabs live in peace.

It's a 30 gal hex with 150W of MH lighting, a Remora skimmer, LR & LS, a small, in-tank fuge & I have a Koralia 3 (850gph) & 2 Koralia Nano's (260gph) to work with.

I've read around a lot on this and understand that my flow should be somewhere between 20-40 x my tank volume (all LPS, mushrooms, zoas, BTA) but I know a lot of this info I'm seeing is subjective.

Could any of the pros in this place give me some advice for placement based on the pics below?

Thanks!

P1010008.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

With a tall tank like that I'd personally want something buried under the rock to keep detritus and uneaten food from accumulating behind the rocks.

I have never used a Koralia nano, but from what I've read, you may consider upping one of them to a K1.

I'd be tempted to leave it as you have it other than, maybe, adding a MJ1200 under some of your rocks with a spray path that cleans out behind the rocks and also gets some flow coming out from behind them. It's how I have my 10g set up. It's a bit strong for a 10g but everything is doing fine.

Archived