ReefCleaners.org

refugium

jrcape

Hey I got a question for everyone.  I’m in college and have had a nano reef for several months.  I’ve decided that I have room in my stand and would like to add on a refugium.  My main tank is a 10 gallon glass and would like to add another one for the refugium inside my stand.  Here's my question:

1.I can not have the tank drilled.  Nobody will do it where I’m at.

2.I’m going to make an overflow box that uses a siphon to bring the water to the refugium.  What size tubing or pvc do I need.

3.What size pump do I need to bring it back to main tank.  Looking at a 2 to 3 foot worth of head.

4.I don’t want any power heads in main tank so if I t off the return to create some current what size pump and tubing/pvc will I need.

5.My last thing is that I’m in a dorm and will be moving at the end of this summer and then I can see myself moving again.  What will be the easiest to take apart and put back together.  This means if I use pvc is there any way to connect it so that I don’t have to use glue.

Thanks for all the help in advance!  I’m sure you guys will now what to do.

quiksilver5768

For return if you want a powerful return of water instead of water then you can get a medium sized powerful pump but small tubing. About1/2" would do so then the water stream would come out a lot faster if the pump is powerful. For the siphon...I would suggest either 1/2" or 3/4" sizing. Also if you are going to be taking down soon...then go with flexible clear plasic tubing from any LFS. This tubing will also give you an easier set up as your tubing doesnt need to be an exact size and length to fit with elbow and corner joints and such...

you need a pump that will be equal to the speed of your siphon or else you're levels will be off.  I've been reading on this also and it sounds like it would be too much of a pain to setup.  

i know that is why most people have it above the tank and then have the drain back to main tank.  Will a powerhead work?  If i get one that is rated like 500 to 600 gph?  I've seen some hagen that are adjustable speed so i thought i would get one that pumps more than the speed of the sipon and then i could just slow it down or T it off more to slow it down.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  Also if i set up the sipon overflow and catch it in a gallon water bottle and time it could i figure out the gph?  Just a thought.  Thanks everyone!

quiksilver5768

Jtown...the siphon will not be hard to manage at all since he is building an oveflow box. If the overlofw is used correctly then the siphon will only suck out of the tank whatever overflows into the box. This means that the pump return does not matter just as long as it can get the water back up to the tank. The siphon will suck out water at whatever rate the pump pumps water back in the tank from the refugium.

If you were thinking about making your own overflow then look at a post i posted earlier (this overflow requires a small pump though) The only thing you have to worry about with a normal siphon is if you have a poweroutage. When your power turns back on, the siphon wont be restarted without your help and if your not there then the pump in your refugium will suck everything into your tank and overflow your main tank. But i highly doubt that there would be a power outage at a college dorm. If you dont want to make your own then you can go with a nice one from CPR. You can find their overflows on marindepot.com, ffexpress.com, and exoticfish.com.

Power is a problem some times in the dorm.  I thought of that.  I have a new idea though that i'm going to try.  I saw some plans here or at reefcentral.  I have an old hob filter.  I think i'm going to cut out the moter that hooks to the siphon  and build a large hob refugium with that in it.  Basically it just a very large hob filter.  I'm going to make it were it will sit on the stand and wont have to relie the side of the tank.  Does anyone think there will be problems with this?

Archived