ReefCleaners.org

Glacier water from grocery store?

jasontatro

Does ianybody know if this stuff is good enough to use? I don't really have the dough to go out by my own RO/DI, so I was wondering if this would be an acceptable alternative. THey have them at the safeway by my house... .$.59/gal. Says it is RO but I don't know about the DI.

Any help?

No no no no no!!

You have no idea about the quality of that water. It can be the greatest drinking water in the world, but turn your tank into a brown,gooey mess. The only water that you should use purified by either RO (reverse osmosis) or DI (deionized) methods. Anything else may contain things that either promote algea or hurt corals.

You can either purchase RO water from a pet store, or buy an Aquarium Pharmacuticals (sp?) Water Purifier for $20 that you run faucet water through and pure water comes out the back. Take it from a guy who has tried to cut corners once in a while, it usually makes your tank look so bad a week later that you just want to throw it away.

Some people worry about distilled water being boiled or cooled using copper. Like so much in this hobby, that could just be a case of people trying to make things more complicated.

I do know for a fact that they use copper kettles at my local brew pub, and the fish don' like that beer at all.

This $20 thing from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals doesn't sound like much more then the PUR faucet filter I have at home. I was under the impression that those were not good enough.

Hi, I've been using Glacier water from my local grocery store for the last year in my 5.5 with no problems,its only 39 cents a gallon.

the machine is checked once a month and states that it is R/O and D/I,carbon filtered and also UV sterialized.So IMO go for it.

The Water Purifier actually creates very good DI water. I've been using it for for years with very good results. It is much more complete than something like a Brita water faucet attachment. If people have good results with this glacier stuff, thats fine. Just consider that if you have a tank that is, say 55 gals, it will cost you $22 just to fill it up, and then $10 to do every water change. Using the DI water made from my admittedly very high quality Lake Huron water supply, it costs me $20 for about 250 gallons. Also, lugging 10 gals of water constantly from the store is a pain. Thats why I make my own, in addition to knowing how it is made. With well water, the cartridge would not last nearly as long.

I hear ya.... but considering that most pepole here are doing water changes that are in the neighborhood of say one gallon a week, that only adds up to about $30 a year. SO, not too bad afterall.

Originally posted by SOreefER

i use safeways "purified water" it is labled as being either or RO or DI have tested many batchs and it is zero on most tests

Great water IMO

Whats the cost per gallon?

cost per gallon is $.53 and i have yet to encounter a bad batch of water i use the batch and lot # printed on the bott. make sure i get water from the same lot. then i only test one gallon from the lot have yet to encounter a bad batch and have been useing this water for 4 months now

I use Glacier water all of the time it's only 25c a gallon here and I think they check the machine twice a month bc I have never seen a last serviced on date longer than two weeks ago. I've tested the water too and it was all zeros so I'm happy :)

you guys that have access to those big machines are lucky i have to used the pre bottled stuff cuse thier is no store within 40 miles of me with one of them (wine, moan , complain)

Archived