Pod Your Reef

Refugium question

Jay Fortay

Is the Perfecto brand sealant safe to fish right away?  The reson I ask is that my new refugium has a new leak right around where the water goes into the pipe to be returned to the tank.  It is just a drip so I globbed about another half of a tube of sealnt on there and was wondering if it is safe to run water through the pipe to see if my attempt at fixing worked.  I know your supposed to let it cure for 24 hours but this isn't holding anything in place I just used it to plug up any holes.  I would wait the full 24, but my heater is already in the refugium.  My nano stays warm enough during the day and night untill I turn the lights off...so should I:

A) leave the lights on all night and test it out in the tommorow.

B) its safe to try it out now

C)wait till just before I go to bed and try it then.

or

D)put my heater back in my tank and throw the refugium out the window, and try again some other day.

Thank you for the help  

LOL wow confusion city. the silicone can have adverse effects on a reef, so it should be left for at least 12 hours to skim- over to a dryish surface. Also, If heat is a problem, try to lower your heater to accomodate for the lights, OR put the heater on a timer. It might take some monkeying with to get it right, but I has worked well in my small reefs. A few degrees of cooling is good at night as it can simulate the natural current and thermaldyne changes on a reef at night. I t also allows the corals a rest period where their metabolizm slows down

Archived