Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Where to keep Frogspawn?

Phish

I wanted to know where the best place to keep a frogspawn frag would be?

I have a 10g with 11lbs LR and 20lbs LS and a big 10lbs LR and a very small 1lbs LR, big on the left, small on the right, they are a mod-low current and mod light, (or so I think). and I have a 96w PC from Hellolights.com, and could like to know if that is too much light for a Moderate light coral, or if it dosent really matter because moderate light is the LEAST it can survive with.

And about the sweepers, I was thinking of putting it near the bottom of the tank, and giving it around 6" clearance all the way around because the spot I have for it is under the powerhead, and when it lets out its sweepers if the powerhead were to blow it and it continuasly touched/stung another coral that would obviously be bad, so what do you suggest I do here?

I have virtually the same situation, same lights and stuff. I put my frogspawn (1 branching head) on the left side of the tank, midway up. I was hoping the current would keep the sweepers at its end of the tank, but I still have all the other corals about 8 inches away. My tank is at work, I need to come in at night and check out the sweepers.

I am interested to hear what the more experienced people have to say...

I've seen frogspawn grow in nearly every situation. I've got a piece (come to think of it...there are several others on this forum who have pieces of it now too) that I've had in four different tanks, all of different intensity lighting. One, a 55g with 120w NO flourescent. While it didn't grow like wildfire, it did split a few times in the year we kept it there. After that, I put it in a 28 bowfront under 110w PC and it blew up. Sat somewhere in the middle. Current varied, as I was always trying new things with the powerhead placement. Then I put it in my 20 when I dumped the 28. The lighting was a 96w P-Quad from CSL, and it almost seemed like it was too much light. Looked like the tips were starting to bleach out. So, I moved it to the fourth tank, a 90g under 110w PC, and it's doing fine. It's got great plenty of space, extends sweepers for about 3 inches, and doesn't bother anything.

My recommendation? Play around with it. See what works. Just watch it carefully. If you see something that you don't like, move it. Just do things gradually, and don't make more than one change at once. Makes it that much harder to judge the results. Good luck. If you blow up the frogspawn b/c you screwed up, let me know. I've got too much of it already. We'll work something out.

Well, if you already have to much I might contact you anyway ;)

I have a lot of light and no shade to put it in, I could try it on the bottom that might work?

Archived