Innovative Marine Aquariums

4 days of skimming tunze 9002 biocube 14

Sinful

I installed a brand new tunze 9002 last friday morning and this is what it has pulled out so far. I think it's doing a decent job for it's break in phase. I plan on going a little dryer once I get my ATO in. You can't really tell b/c of the flash, but there is some pretty nasty foam at the top.

4daysskimmate.jpg

just a quick heads up on the tunze 9002. unlike other skimmer tunze 9002 can produce only a very dark at times wet skimate and really doesnt get too dry

thanks for the heads up, a really dark wet skimmate will be just fine for me..lol. I am so impressed with this thing. The water in my tank looks so much better than when I ran the fuge in middle chamber, I can't wait to see how this thing performs after a couple weeks finely tuned and with a constant water level 24/7(still waiting on jbj ato)

here is a picture I took of the tank I think sat right when the lights came on for the day.

current.jpg

I plan on slowly getting rid of all zoa's/lps and going straight sps

Wow!! Mine NEVER looks dark like that. At most its slightly off color but never dark. Is my tank really clean or is my Tunze malfunctioning?

Wow!! Mine NEVER looks dark like that. At most its slightly off color but never dark. Is my tank really clean or is my Tunze malfunctioning?

scotty is dosing vodka...

so am I! :D

me too... ;)

but i keep screwing my skimmer up and it won't skim. it's too big for my sump, so i'll likely be selling it soon.

me too... ;)

but i keep screwing my skimmer up and it won't skim. it's too big for my sump, so i'll likely be selling it soon.

What do you think about dosing the vodka?? I'm slowly decreasing my dose. At first it was going really well but now my corals are staying closed. Also noticing my pH dropping. So I'm going to take a break for awhile. I guess for every action there is a reaction. but still...I never got skimmate like scotty.

What do you think about dosing the vodka?? I'm slowly decreasing my dose. At first it was going really well but now my corals are staying closed. Also noticing my pH dropping. So I'm going to take a break for awhile. I guess for every action there is a reaction. but still...I never got skimmate like scotty.

i've only been doing it for 9 days now. when my skimmer was skimming, my skimmate was getting a lot darker. i bumped into my skimmer during a water change yesterday and it hasn't been skimming since. i've gotten pretty frustrated with the skimmer (Tunze 9010) b/c it is too big for the sump and anytime i do anything in the sump, i knock the skimmer around and something gets screwed up. when it is skimming, it is great....but it makes maintenance far too difficult. i'm now considering the tunze 9002 or the deltec mc500.

i've only been doing it for 9 days now. when my skimmer was skimming, my skimmate was getting a lot darker. i bumped into my skimmer during a water change yesterday and it hasn't been skimming since. i've gotten pretty frustrated with the skimmer (Tunze 9010) b/c it is too big for the sump and anytime i do anything in the sump, i knock the skimmer around and something gets screwed up. when it is skimming, it is great....but it makes maintenance far too difficult. i'm now considering the tunze 9002 or the deltec mc500.

I like the Tunze. But I replaced the RSM stock skimmer which was a POS.

thanks guys well i have been dosing for a month and one tip i could give you is.as you dose voka your redox increases and reduces the available amount of oxygen in you tank. i only dose .3ml per day as a mainatance dose from .5ml to get my NO3 and PO4 levels down to zero

thanks guys well i have been dosing for a month and one tip i could give you is.as you dose voka your redox increases and reduces the available amount of oxygen in you tank. i only dose .3ml per day as a mainatance dose from .5ml to get my NO3 and PO4 levels down to zero

are you using 80 proof?

yeah 80 proof ketel one ( if brand matters) and i use a 1/2 cc Insulin Syringes to dose

ok, good. you scared me. i'm using 40 proof....i'm dosing like 1.3ml right now.

well maybe that is my issue. I got up to 1cc and dosed that daily for awhile. now I'm down to 0.5cc. I was dosing trying to outcompete a rare algae similar to dinos. It's actually called Raphidophytes. Seemed to help at first but now the Raphids are coming back. and my corals are suffering so thats why I'm lowering my dose.

And I'm doing the Smirnoff 80 proof.

hello all!

i've been on hovering around this forum since june doing research for my 20H nano but this is my first post.

i've got to ask.

Why would someone dose a reef with vodka? i'm not saying it's bad but i'm still new and i can't come up with a reason.

hello all!

i've been on hovering around this forum since june doing research for my 20H nano but this is my first post.

i've got to ask.

Why would someone dose a reef with vodka? i'm not saying it's bad but i'm still new and i can't come up with a reason.

Cause my fish act really silly with a bit of the drink in them!! :lol:

J/K!!!

Cause my fish act really silly with a bit of the drink in them!! :lol:

J/K!!!

that's awesome! i think i'd have to try it if that actually happened and wouldn't kill anything

The Propagator
here is a pic of the darkest skimate i have ever pulled out to give you a idea

IMG_1511-1.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

I am SOOOoooo glad I made my own skimmer.

I can pull out stuff that looks straight up like mud if I set it dry enough.

I pull out black liquid all the time that smells like rotten dead fish eggs, and beef on a low setting. when I 1st made it I noticed this sewer smell all in the basement right.

I was all like WTF MAN ! Burst pipe ? Lose of prime in a trap? House trap ? Darin seal? WTF MAN ! I looked EVERY WHERE nothing.

Then one day while standing over my skimmer I noticed it again. BAD.

I drilled holes around the top of the collection cup lid for the massive amounts of air being mixed to escape. It was also blowing out a foul odor ! :lol: NEWB MOVE !!

I cut a piece of carbon padding to fit around the out side rim of the riser deflector on the lid and the inside of the lid to filter the air exiting. Never had the smell again.

Cost me $170 and change to build the monster. But that's because I did a lot of experimenting buying thing I didn't need, and shopping at the wrong places.

I guess my point is whil eI think Tunze is a top knotch store bought product.. you can make a much better skimmer on your own with a little time and effort for half the cost per size and gallon ratio. ESPECIALLY on a nano.

Archived