SaltCritters.com

Making Kalkwasser

hazmat

HecticDialectics
Can someone give me directions on how to make it?

Thanks!

I stick a tablespoon or so of pickling lime in a gallon of ro/di... shake... let sit till clear... use clear liquid to dose... don't dose any of that leftover powder in the bottom of the jug.

More than you'll ever probably need to know about kalkwasser http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

The Propagator

Now that's good info.

So since you only use 2 tbs whats the ration to water ?

Gallon ? Pint ? Quart ?

Yes , its true, I have never used kalkwasser or lime water :P

Now that's good info.

So since you only use 2 tbs whats the ration to water ?

Gallon ? Pint ? Quart ?

Yes , its true, I have never used kalkwasser or lime water :P

Sorry... 2 tsp to 1 Gallon is saturated. The best way to check is with a conductivity meter.

What reading should we see on the meter ?

( Come on captain info gap ! sheesh ! )

(I KEED I KEED !! :P)

A quote from you know who....

The conductivity of saturated limewater at 25°C is about 10.3 mS/cm (a little higher at lower temperatures due to increased solubility of limewater and lower at higher temperatures due to decreased solubility). This value (or something close to it) is easily reproduced by any aquarist with a suitable conductivity probe: add a teaspoon of lime to a cup of pure water and look at the conductivity after a few minutes. This procedure is also a good way to see how fast the lime actually dissolves. In my case, it is very fast.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/...ature/index.php

Hello boys!

I made my kalk using the Tbsp of kalk and 1 gallon on RO. Mixed, set aside and decanted. I made it to bring up my pH. And it's not working. Per Mr. Fosi....I've added 5cc every 2-3 hours trying to get my pH up to 8.2. Not doing it.

My tank pH has always been stable. then started dosing Vodka trying to outcompete Raphidophytes. all of a sudden my pH is dropping to 7.6 and 7.7 even with the lights on. Tried aerating to see if it was CO2 problem....nothing changed. All my params are good. Mg, alk, calc is all in range. So I thought I would drip some kalk to raise the pH and so far....nothing.

Any other ideas? Some of my corals have not been opening up. My GSP has been closed for days now.

Edit: BTW, my tablespoon (3 tsp) seemed to dissolve just fine. water is clear from what I can see.

Thank you! I knew you had to decant it but I wasn't sure if there were certain ratios.

Just a note- you don't have to decant at all. In fact, most people let the heavy solids settle into the bottom of the container and leave them there, as well as letting the "crust" remain where it is. There is the possibility that the solids can bond to some phosphates in your source water, so many people just leave it for years.

HecticDialectics
Just a note- you don't have to decant at all. In fact, most people let the heavy solids settle into the bottom of the container and leave them there, as well as letting the "crust" remain where it is. There is the possibility that the solids can bond to some phosphates in your source water, so many people just leave it for years.

+1

That's half the reason why I just use a tablespoon per gallon... the other half is that it's just easier cause that's the measuring scoop I have :P Pickling lime's so damn cheap there's no reason to get all exact with gettin some good ol saturated kalkwasser.

There is a huge difference between a table spoon and tea spoon.

Make sure you measure with a tea spoon and do not exceed two tea spoons per gallon.

Make sure you measure with a tea spoon and do not exceed two tea spoons per gallon.

what happens if you exceed 2 teaspoons?

Hello boys!

I made my kalk using the Tbsp of kalk and 1 gallon on RO. Mixed, set aside and decanted. I made it to bring up my pH. And it's not working. Per Mr. Fosi....I've added 5cc every 2-3 hours trying to get my pH up to 8.2. Not doing it.

My tank pH has always been stable. then started dosing Vodka trying to outcompete Raphidophytes. all of a sudden my pH is dropping to 7.6 and 7.7 even with the lights on. Tried aerating to see if it was CO2 problem....nothing changed. All my params are good. Mg, alk, calc is all in range. So I thought I would drip some kalk to raise the pH and so far....nothing.

Any other ideas? Some of my corals have not been opening up. My GSP has been closed for days now.

Edit: BTW, my tablespoon (3 tsp) seemed to dissolve just fine. water is clear from what I can see.

The vodka you are dosing is acting as a carbon source which consumes O2. I'd cut back on the Vodka.

HecticDialectics

:huh:

I suggest you read that link I posted...

cause you're wrong...

The vodka you are dosing is acting as a carbon source which consumes O2. I'd cut back on the Vodka.

Oh I've stopped dosing! Haven't added Vodka to the tank in 5 days or so. But pH is still low.

:huh:

I suggest you read that link I posted...

cause you're wrong...

I see a reefcentral link with an idiot disagreeing with you soon...

Archived