Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My LED fixture

Splumph

DashingAquatics

Ok so lets say the dimming buck puck can take a min 5 vdc in, I could use a cell phone charger that has a 5 VDC out to power the buck puck.

Like this,

post-37798-1225572315_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhm

I don't think this will work. The voltage going into the buckpuck needs to be higher than the combined Vf of the LEDs that your are using.

Example

If you want to light 2 LEDs

2x3.6V + a couple of volts for loss in the buckpuck = 9.2V.

So you could use any power supply from 10-32V that is rated for current of 700mA and the BP would power your LEDs correctly.

Also BP are available that run on AC or DC.

3021-A-E-1000 BuckPuck 1000mA AC LED Driver (PCB Mount)

3021-D-E-1000 BuckPuck 1000mA DC LED Driver (PCB Mount)

Good Luck

NRG

DashingAquatics
Uhm

I don't think this will work. The voltage going into the buckpuck needs to be higher than the combined Vf of the LEDs that your are using.

Example

If you want to light 2 LEDs

2x3.6V + a couple of volts for loss in the buckpuck = 9.2V.

So you could use any power supply from 10-32V that is rated for current of 700mA and the BP would power your LEDs correctly.

Also BP are available that run on AC or DC.

3021-A-E-1000 BuckPuck 1000mA AC LED Driver (PCB Mount)

3021-D-E-1000 BuckPuck 1000mA DC LED Driver (PCB Mount)

Good Luck

NRG

Ok so basicly my same design with a higher voltage power supply, whats the main differience beteween the 700's and the 1000's aside from changeing the led type? Brighter light I assume.

Hi MMN

Yes geting a higher voltage power supply will make this work.

700 or 1000mA the decision is yours depending on the LEDs you choose. I bought 1000mA with an internal adjustment (3021-D-I-1000) but I am running the LEDs at 700. I wanted to have some room for possible future project/LEDs.

To bring up the CT you need to add blue LEDs. Most of us who are playing with LEDs are mixing cool white (~6500K) with Royal blue (455nM) and possibly some UV (410nM) LEDs.

It looks like having blue & white 1:1 will give a CT around 14000K. Dig through some of the LED threads and you can find the details.

The UV will fluoresce some of the corals adding "pop" to the colors.

Cheers

NRG

Edit to answer the buckpuck questions

Archived