Coral Vue Hydros

Tap water or rain water?

spazizz

Which do you think is the better choice? City tap water or rain water?

Dont flame just tell every one what you think.

Neither...Tap water is going to contain chlorine (and God knows what else the city puts in there that will easily kill your fish), and you can't really be to sure what kinda pollution you'd get in your rain water from it floating around in clouds before it fell on you. If forced I'd go with rain water but I would advise you to go out and buy distilled water from Wal-Mart or something for peace of mind. RO/DI is still probably your best option though.

In the city I live in the tap water is RO to begin with, and Prime takes care of the chlorine and chloramine, (not at all the only problems with the water though), so I would use it in a FOWLR tank. No corals. Macro algae seems to prefer tap with saltwater mixed, I think because the water has phosphates. So tap would be the lesser of two evils where I live. But it depends where you get it. (Well water is a nightmare around here - where my uncle is it is amazingly pure, etc...). If it is a nano-tank though, why not try to use some distilled water, you wouldn't have to get a lot. 99% of the time though I use ocean water, but I guess that is not a possibility for everyone.

HecticDialectics
Which do you think is the better choice? City tap water or rain water?

Dont flame just tell every one what you think.

That's an impossible question to answer. We don't know anything about your city's tap water or the type of crap in the rain in your area. Either one could be better.

masterbuilder

Please use R/O or distilled. But..if you insist on using the ones you asked about...tap water is better. Rainwater contains all sorts of pollutants. IMO..unless your very lucky, you are in for a "hole heap o' trouble"

Militant Jurist
99% of the time though I use ocean water, but I guess that is not a possibility for everyone.

How good of an idea is that? Does it add beneficial stuff to your nano, or is there a risk of all sorts of nasties getting in? I ask because I'm going to Myrtle Beach this spring, and if ocean water is a good thing, I might bring a gallon or two back with me!

How good of an idea is that? Does it add beneficial stuff to your nano, or is there a risk of all sorts of nasties getting in? I ask because I'm going to Myrtle Beach this spring, and if ocean water is a good thing, I might bring a gallon or two back with me!

Ive been to Myrtle and that water is chrystal clear where I went (about 2-3 miles off shore)

Not that that means anything... just thought id chime into this thread

gulfsurfer101

SOrry if it sounds like a flame but neither is good for a nano tank. Tap water can and most likely intoduce all kinds of unwanted uglies and phoshates that will cause nasty unwanted algea in your tank and rainwater contains many pollutants that I'm pretty shure isn't good for your tank neither. I don't think that any water cleaner stuff you can add will knock out everything that's in those two waters. I haveactually used locally collected seawater for a ten gallon biotope I started here for local critters. I would do it with caution for a reef tank but the water here is tested I think bimonthly by a local university and it is usually far more cleaner than heavier poppulated areas on the coast. 7 stage filtration water dispensers including ro/do and UV lighting are usually sitting right outside your local grocery store. You can fill a 5g jug for like 1.50, that is your best deal if you do not have an ro unit like myself.

Distill your own water! Get a big bucket and put some water in. Then inside that bucket put another smaller bucket (might need to weight it down with something). Take plastic wrap and cover the big bucket and put a marble or something small to make a dent in the middle. In theory the water in the big bucket evaporates and condenses on the plastic wrap (leaving all the bad stuff behind). Then travels down the plastic to the dent in the middle where it collects and drips into the smaller bucket, leaving you with pure H20. Or atleast thats what I remember from a science class way back when....

The Propagator

WAYYYYyyy to much effort for little gain and to much power consumption to make it worth while.

Just buy it, or buy and RO/DI unit.

( Hint.: BUY AN RO/DI UNIT !)

:P

Archived