Cultivated Reef

Do you clean or flush your chillers regularly?

aparnold

Hey All,

Just wondering... Does anybody out there flush their chillers regularly? I recently modified some of my chiller plumbing, and after I restarted the pump all kinds of white flakes poured out in to the water. I think that a few air bubbles helped dislodge the buildup. No harm was done to the tank or any of its inhabitants. I've only been running the chiller for about a month so I was kind of surprised by the buildup. But it got me thinking that it might be a good idea to flush the chiller plumbing every once in a while, maybe like 2-4 times a year. Has anybody done this? If so, how have you gone about doing so?

Isn't chiller plumbing... kind of always being flushed?

OK Then... Power flushed? All I know is that having some air being passed through the system dislodged some gunk that must have been lining the inside of the chiller and plumbing.

Isn't chiller plumbing... kind of always being flushed?

We would think, right? But think of when you tear apart a pump to clean the impeller and such. If slimey film can buildup inside a pump or in various lines, no reason why it wouldn't do the same in a chiller. On that note, I've never flushed mine myself. But I wonder if the O/P's issue was maybe stuff that was from manufacturing and it wasn't initially pre-flushed like you're typically supposed to do when setting up a chiller?

Archived