SaltCritters.com

Poly Filter Floss

Yamato

How long do you have the poly filter in there before it turns that colour?

How many gallons is your tank? Mine is an 8 gallan biocube. I anticipate I would have to change mine in a month.

I have the poly filter in for two weeks, then i change it. My tank is a 5g eclipse corner.... I would change sooner than a month, once every two weeks.... Don't want to let the nitrates build up.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the poly filter in for two weeks, then i change it. My tank is a 5g eclipse corner.... I would change sooner than a month, once every two weeks.... Don't want to let the nitrates build up.

What if I rinse it in some water so the detrius is removed...

The poly filter should still work after two weeks...no?

I used to rinse in FW during my weekly water changes, but the pad doesn't turn fully white again..... so i decided to just change it when it gets that dark brown color.... You can rinse but it kills anything that could be living in it in turn possibly adding more nitrates to the tank, your better off not re-using...

I use floss and the poly filter pad for over a year.

It has always been tan/brown until my heater exploded in my old tank, then I had pink/purple colors. I run my filter floss on top and the pad below then change the floss at least once a week and the pad when it full.

I usually pick up 6 or so at a time when there's a sale going on and no added shipping.

Alot of positive comments from users of the poly filter.

I will keep it in there and continue to monitor the colour of the filter...

thanks for giving your testimony.

The Propagator
I will post pics of the floss and allow everyone to make their own judgement.

I figure since I would be posting pics of the floss in a week, I might as well post a pic of the floss as of today before it entered the water.

2929540365_716bfa3fb6.jpg?v=0

That's what I use and have been using for years and years.

Costs all of $9.00 for frick'n trunk load of it too at the fabric store.

It has always been tan/brown until my heater exploded in my old tank, then I had pink/purple colors. I run my filter floss on top and the pad below then change the floss at least once a week and the pad when it full.

Interesting..

Does it come in a roll?

The prices they charge for polypads are ridiculous. If I can find a cheap generic material that would be great.

Hey Yamato do not listen to StevieT, Dahliaheartsyou, ReefBug; since they don't even know what is the product that you have ask for. They think you were talking about Filter Floss which something very different otherwise they were trashing this product with the wrong intent. From my own experience, this product works well as marketed, I use it to help me with some of my PO4 problems and it does help. I tested my water at .5 then after I add the Poly-filter It help me reduce my PO4 by half .25, then I cut more on feeding and now my water is down to .04 PO4 and I still use the poly filter just change it every 3 weeks and is been great. I have a Solana 34g and I use this in between chambers.

What you are describing is NOT the product from Poly-Bio-Marine. Poly-Filter is the bomb. The stuff you're describing is polyester floss, cheap ass pillow stuffing and mechanical detritus filtration media.

polyfilter works... I've used it quite a bit when I really needed to clean up a tank (aka friend that neglects their tanks) or pull chemiclean out of the water or if you have that friend that tops up with tap water and their tank looks like crap, it fixes that too in a hurry LOL..

Wow...thanks guys, for all the input, I took out the pad on Sat and checked it out, no colouration on it, just a bit more brown, rinsed the pad out and put it back in...will post picture later, but really not much change. Check back in in a week.

I use the dame stuff only I have it on the top of my first chamber. After reading this I realize that may not be the best spot. Thought I change it weekly.

Wow...thanks guys, for all the input, I took out the pad on Sat and checked it out, no colouration on it, just a bit more brown, rinsed the pad out and put it back in...will post picture later, but really not much change. Check back in in a week.

From what I've been reading you must have good water quality. Congrats! Do keep us posted! :D

Thanks Sea Keeper.

I keep data on my water quality, just FYI for those out there.

Ca: 440

pH: 8.1 (a bit low, i will be getting buffer to get it up)

NO: 0

KH: 9-10

Salinity: 1.023

Temp: 78-79

I try to keep these water para as close and stable as I can.

I hope to b able to bring up my pH.

Just did a water change so I figure I would pull out the poly filter to take a look at it.

It was originally added into my BC 8 on Oct 10, so its been two weeks. I have rinsed it out since then about three times. THe look of it is that its just brown with no distinct colour on it. I am guessing this is a good thing since colour would mean it is absorbing some kind of chemical.

Take a look and see for yourself ;)

but keep in mind that I did not hold the white balance the same in each pic, I should have done that...

so the fact that it looks really dingy may also be a factor of the lighting used in the pic.

2970190951_93dd1a0321.jpg?v=0

pic from with it was three days old

2937204500_c330a343ae.jpg?v=0

I am indeed a noob.

I am glad there are alot of you out there giving your two cents.

And I am also feeling more confident about my LFS guy Ken from Sea U Marine in Richmond hill Toronto, good guy.

Ken is a great guy, always with good advice, and it's good to see a LFS owner who refuses to sell to those that can't house things too. I get almost all of my livestock and dry goods from him now. And he has the best prices and usually gives a good deal :)

This poly-filter seems like a good product to have on hand if anything else. Thanks for the write up.

Woah, didnt know you were from the area. That is awesome! Now I have a fellow nano reefer. Maybe I can PM u eh?

Ken is a good guy, I had a green Mandarin that I tried to train to eat frozen food. Well, he get thinner and thinner...so I decided to offer him up to Ken. He said sure, and I brought my little guy over there and he is currently living in Ken's SPS tank (the second one in). He is nice and healthy now...u can see him next time you are there.

I've done some research and I have ordered a Tailspot Blenny from him. He said he will order it for me and let me know when it comes in.

Here is a shot of my Mandarin, yes, I know it was polly a bad idea...but I love this fish and just hoped that I would be able to keep him...well, at least he is happy now in a big system.

IMG_8930.jpg

Hey guys-

New to the forum here. I managed a LFS for 7 years and use to sell the Poly Filter like crazy. I use it on all my tanks and use to use it on many store tanks. The stuff is a bit pricey, but works very well. No gimmicks.

Archived