Pod Your Reef

Skimmer for a nano-sized sump

bonsaidarrell

bonsaidarrell

I'm trying to figure out what skimmer to get for my planned system (34 gallon display). I will have a sump, and so want something I can use there. My criteria are:

1. Quiet

2. Effective

3. Price, but just as a tie-breaker

From Marine Depot, I've come up with the these possibilities:

Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002 ($150)

Tunze DOC Protein Skimmer 9005 ($285 + $55 for sump mounting kit)

AquaC Urchin Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump ($164, might add drain though)

I really thing it comes down to the Tunze Nano DOC and the Urchin. The Urchin needs at least 24" of clearance, which is OK, but if the Tunze needs less that might be a consideration as well.

So, what would you pick? Any other models I should consider?

Thanks,

Darrell

bonsaidarrell

So, no one has any opinion? :-)

Does anyone know how much overhead clearance the Tunze Nano needs for removing the cup for cleaning?

Thanks,

Darrell

So, no one has any opinion? :-)

Does anyone know how much overhead clearance the Tunze Nano needs for removing the cup for cleaning?

Thanks,

Darrell

How much room in the sump?

Available footprint, water level and height from water level to bottom of cabinet?

bonsaidarrell
How much room in the sump?

Available footprint, water level and height from water level to bottom of cabinet?

I'm leaning toward the Eshopps Reef Sump RS-75, which has 10" x 12" for the skimmer, and an 8" water level. Height in the cabinet is up to me, as I'm building it, but 30" would be the max, and I'd really like to keep it to 24" or a little less.

-Darrell

The urchin is LOUD! It's basically an in-sump remora, and they are a middle-of-the-road skimmer. I have the 9002, best bang for the buck out there. If you want the best performance, look into the deltec MCE300

bonsaidarrell

Thanks everyone, it sounds like the Tunze is what I sound go for.

Does anyone know how much clearance I need overhead to remove the collection cup? The specs say it is 13.3" tall. From the pictures in the manual, I'm guessing no more than 4 or 5 inches.

Also, can it sit directly on the bottom of the sump, or does it need some clearance? I can't tell from the pictures if it draws water from the bottom, or just the sides near the bottom.

-Darrell

i have the Tunze 9010 (same body as the Tunze 9005 but with a different pump and collection cup) and i am considering selling it b/c i think it is too big for my sump. everything i try to move anything in the sump, the skimmer gets knocked around and gets messed up. for this reason, i would definitely suggest the 9002 if you have a small sump. i can't answer your questions though, just thought i'd chime in.

bonsaidarrell
Umm, the neck of the cup is pretty long for a skimmer, it's about "3 - "4 I'd say, so I'd allow "5 - "6 of room to lift it out...

Thanks! I'm planning 24", so that should be plenty.

-Darrell

Archived