Coral Vue Hydros

Zook’s Zoa & LPS Reef

zook

thanks zook. Rbta can get very big. I'm hoping mine splits before then. I wouldagree with u that u don't have room. Some picks of the tubing conversion would be awesome.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some quick pics of the plumbing:

Top View: U-tube has to drain from the third chamber because of the slits on the first chamber. Since the first and second chambers are connected, draining from the second chamber would drain the entire tank. . .

2999993831_e62fd77323.jpg

Side View: I have some clamps to hang my Aquadoser.

3000835062_fab866811d.jpg

Return from Sump: The MJ1800 Utility Pump is quite powerful at 3.5' head so I t-off the tubing and have some of the water going back to the sump. The MJ1800 has adjustable flow, but I can control the flow better with the two control valves. Also, the Deflector will limit how much flow is returning to the tank.

3000834964_72d5b1c48b.jpg

FTS 11/03/08: Bright.

3000835750_b2a0ab2344_o.jpg

FTS 11/03/08: Did some fragging and rescaped a bit.

3000835600_fbfa04f979.jpg

Refugium 11/03/08: Added skimmer and a few other gadgets.

3000835866_8907b61bd3.jpg

Zoas Frags 11/03/08

2999993691_1c52145e7d.jpg

3000834618_0313c4bb14.jpg

Any chance you can tell me the footprint of the maxijet 1800. putting the acrylic baffles in my 10 gallon that will be used as the refugium but i want to make sure i leave enough room for the pump.

no the overflow box is designed to stop siphoning when there is no water going into it and it will restarted when the power comes back on because water will begin flowing into it.

no the overflow box is designed to stop siphoning when there is no water going into it and it will restarted when the power comes back on because water will begin flowing into it.

zook, i am glad that i gave you all my stuff because everything looks amazing! i couldnt be happier with who i gave it to. i miss having a tank, i might tart up a 2.5 gallon soon just cause i miss it so much! o by the way check out dr. macs pacific east aquaculture, they have 20 zoa frags for 99 dollars and you get the $15 shipping so its a steal!

Did you add some photoshop spice to those pics or are the colors REALLY that vibrant?

Sweet tank nonetheless.

Doug-I'm away this week so can't get the exact measurement for the MJ1800, but it's around 6"L x 4"W. Keep in mind that the MJ1800 is too strong for me at 3.5' head.

FMoose-There's no suction, but if you mean siphon, I've worked everything out so that if the pump dies or if anything gets clogged, the tank will not overflow, drain empty, and I made sure that siphon will continue when the power is back on.

Dubs-Thanks for everything, man. You know who to contact if you ever need to start another tank. I got plenty of live rock/sand, coral, fish, and everything you need =D

Rota- No Photoshop, the colors are true. I really which I have a better camera with macro lens. A lot of the corals really color up too once they're established in the tank.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I need to start looking into SPSs and clams =D

How did I miss this thread?

fantastic tank, great balance of colors and the zoas are awesome :D did the eggs ever hatch?

post some pix of the GBG's..I lub them :wub:

Thanks Got2. I'm sure the eggs hatched, but I've been away and unable to monitor them. From what I've read, the larvae are quite difficult to rear and without any safe netting, they're lost in the current or eaten by the other fishes.

The GBGs are quite reclusive as I'm sure they're getting ready to lay more eggs if they haven't done so already. I'll try to get some pictures when I can. Thanks =D

how did you get the water level in the display portion of the tank to stay full up the the max line. i just hooked up my overflow and it seems to only stay just below the black rim of the glass. I also still have to figure out how to stop the tank from draining down to far. i already raised up the overflow just a little of the back lip to raise the water level up a little but i sitll have to stop the back flow from the return. i tired drilling a whole in the return and that didnt help because instead of siphoning out of the display its just dripping into the back chambers.

Hey Doug,

Maintaining the water level in the display tank is a matter of balancing water that's coming in from the return line and water that's draining out. If water level in the tank is low, water is siphoning out faster than the pump can return. If this is the case, you can increase water flowing back in from the sump or slow the water that's being drained out. What does your setup look like and where did you end up putting the overflow?

i placed the overflow siphon tube in the third chamber, and i have raised the water level by reducing the amount of water that can go down through the skimming teeth into the chambers. this also increased my surface skimming. I am still working on minimizing the loss of water in the display tank when the power goes out. i have stopped the back flow in the return but i need to totally seal off the middle and bottom intake grates in the intake chamber. otherwise no mater what i do the water will still drain down the the height of hte divider between the 2nd and third chambers. I have also built a stockman stand pipe to reduce the noise made by the overflow and it seems to ahve worked pretty well.

yup it cost me about 225 to add one to my aquapod and i built the fuge out of a 10 gallon. the pump was about 90, the overflow was 103 with shipping and then tubing and pvc parts.

Looks like you're getting everything under control, Doug. Nice stuff. Make sure to post some pictures when you're done =D

My overflow was making some noise as well, but I stuck a couple of flexible tubing down the drain and that seem to work wonders:

2999993831_e62fd77323.jpg

It is pricey to add a sump/fuge to such a small tank, but having done so, it's sooooooo worth it. The tank is so much more stable, corals are more than happy, and you can overstock/overfeed just a little bit without dire consequences.

I just got a 4" female peacock mantis shrimp. Time to start a mantis tank at home. Another adventure begins soon. . .

make sure you dont put that mantis in you tank at work it will kill your fish and it will be a PITA to get out.

I will post pics on my thread later today, take a look when you get a chance.

I would love to see your setup. The mantis is staying in the fuge for now until I can get another tank setup. I can't wait :lol:

make sure you dont put that mantis in you tank at work it will kill your fish and it will be a PITA to get out.

I will post pics on my thread later today, take a look when you get a chance.

gulfsurfer101

Holy crap, that is a lot of stuff you got going on back there. I thought I was overcompuslive when it came to my nano tank. Looks good man, your duncans are the reason I went and dropped a nice chunk of change in hope that they will look as good as yours in my tank.

i wish mine looked that good too. cant figure out what they never do though. my water is great but for some reason thats just not good enough for them i guess.

Archived