Pod Your Reef

Heater died today - how do you prevent this

Jakesaw

Freshwater tank

I had my first aquarium heater die on me today ( heater was probably 8 years old ). I noticed when onf of my fish was swimming funny at the bottom of my tank - doing loopie circles. He was half dead - and I flushed him down the toilet - so he wouldn't get the rest of my tank ill. I had treated him for ick a couple times - and he's been a challenge to keep healthy for some time now.

I went to do a 20 % water change - and noticed how cold the water was. It turned out my heater was dead - and a cool night got the water down to 72 degrees ( I wonder how long the heater has been out now ). I had a spare heater and have fixed teh situation - and hopefully the rest of the fish will be fine in a few days - but if it were a saltwater tank - and I lost 100's of dollars worth of livestock - I'd be pissed as heck. ( Only lost a few dollars in a fish today )

How do people protect against this happening in their saltwater tanks.

Freshwater tank

How do people protect against this happening in their saltwater tanks.

Monitoring and redundancy. I use two heaters in my 70 gallon. One is set to kick in if the other one fails.

--bubbles

You could go out right now and buy a controller with a temp probe that will sound an alarm when your temp drops below a certain level.

OR you can just be vigalent in monitoring your tank, replace older gear and have a back up.

I use the second option.

Don't you have a thermometer in the tank? That would have alerted you to a problem. I check my temp several times a day.

+1 and I always keep a spare heater and pump on hand...

The nice thing about saltwater is that we use such strong lights that create heat. So my heater only kicks in at night, very late. The heat retains itself. My heater died in my tank and it only got down to 71°, so not too big of a deal.

That same heat can be a pain, ie chillers

also, as stated check it. I check mine constantly with a wireless display by my desk.

gotboost15psi

just get a Tom alert meter...about 13 bucks on ebay after shipping. Keeps a reading of the tank temp 24/7 and alerts you if the temp gets to high or to low. It also has built in memory that will show the highest and the lowest temp the tank reached. Here is the ebay link to one tom aquarium alert temp. meter

Archived