Coral Vue Hydros

Pump Question.. Help...

hammer294

Hello all... I have a quick question about my tank. I have a 20H display with a 10g sump. I have an eheim 1250 for the return from the sump and had the oceanrunner 3500 running to a scwd for my closed loop.

My oceanrunner has started making alot of noise and after cleaning still does. I am looking to replace it but i did notice that when it was running quiet, the flow in the tank seemed to be overpowering to the fish. They were constantly fighting the current. I keep sps and lps in my tank. Do you think if I drop down in pump size to either the oceanrunner 2500 (puts out 650 gph before the scwd) or the eheim 1260 (puts out 634 gph before the scwd) that will be enough for the sps?

Right now i am running with a power head the tank for extra circulation while the closed loop is down.

I would like to give the fish a break if it doesnt hurt the coral.

thanks for your help

Chris

Rule of thumb for pump sizing...not scientific, to be used only as a starting guide and based off a medium sized tank...

Max Gallons per hour flow:

Low = 20 x Tank Gallons

Med = 50 x Tank Gallons

High = 100 x Tank Gallons

I think SPS are fine in medium flow...so using the above for your 20 gallon you should be around 800- 1000 gph total flow...

If you are able to deflect the flow of water off of, and around, a rock or the side glass of the tank, you'll cut down on the linear blasting the fish get. I've also seen guys take bit intake strainers and put them on the outflow.

You could even make a DIY flow spreader with PVC. Just plug one end of a 3" long piece with a test cap, drill several 3/8" holes in the pipe (including a couple out of the end) and slide the other end over your pump's output. This will spread the waterflow out more without drastically reducing actual gallons-per-hour.

Archived