Pod Your Reef

New fuge

sdboogie

Im thinking about adding a fuge to a 10gal. Are there cycling consequences to adding a refugium to an already cycled tank? If so than what is the kinder softer way to add a fuge?

Forgot to ask. I've read the flow is too high for a typical nano when using the AC500. And one can limit the flow with a smaller model impellar. Has anyone tried modifying the stock impeller that comes with the 500? For instance, what happens if you remove every other blade or cut each blade back a little? Does anyone have experience modifying the impeller?

Yo Gumby... I've never done this but there are threads in NR.com where reefers have taken the stock impeller out and replaced them with a smaller impeller. Apparently they fit fine and toss a smaller GPH figure, all without cutting or trimming. Do a quick search and see what you find.

Dat Phan... Still cracking me up Gumbino. That guy was a racial goober! The Hide-n-Seek thing was classic! I still think the phat guy was better over the long haul.

Thanks for the love. I'll keep the info in mind when I get the bucks to take the fuge plunge.

"America has voted and they chose to spite everyone but you, Dat.":D

sdboogie:

I just installed an AC500 as a fuge on my 20h. The flow is not too much even on the highest setting (the AC500 has an adjustable flow). The link below has a discussion on using the AC500 as a fuge, and has some of my pictures in it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=16635

Also, you cannot swap impellers on the AC500, as it is a different size than the others. Although the flow can be reduced by drilling a hole in the intake ahead of the motor.

Steve

Lots of info! It looks like you started the fuge with a new tank. Any experience out there with adding a fuge to an already cycled tank? Will I have to go through another cycle? Also, lighting. Steve, do you just leave the top off and your main lighting is enough? Or could it be augmented with some sort of light deflector to catch more light in the fuge? Eventually I will have a quad 96W PC that sits above the tank. It takes up 7.5 inches of real estate, so I think I could get some rays in there to help algae growth.

But my main concern is adding a fuge to an already cycled tank.

harbingerofthefish

So how big is this fuge going to be?

Seeing as how most fuges are just sand and algaes, I can't see how it would disturb the cycled main tank. You can use some sand from your main tank if you think that wil seed it, but even adding some LS from another tank shouldn't be too much of a problem. Same if you wanted to add some LR to the mix. When you buy corals at a LFS, a lot of them are mounted, thus you are adding outside LR into your tank. Just take it slow like usual and if anything happens it should be minimal.

my thought.

Archived