Top Shelf Aquatics

Show me your return setup....

nanoty

After fighting a constant microbubble problem from my return line I am looking for other ideas. Can you describe in as much detail as possible your return from your sump to tank or provide pics if possible? Thanks

Well I am currently setting mine up.

The majority of the flow in my tank will come from a vortech, not the return. But, mine is flexible tubing, right out of the ehiem pump and into the tank via a spray nozzle piece that curves over the rim. Pretty standard, really.

No micro bubbles here:

back.plumbing.jpg

What pump are you using? That is almost exactly the same setup I have except my pump is submersed and I took the 90's out after the SCWD and both likes go straight to the nozzles.

you suck at reefing. you spend like 5 years setting up a tank so it is "perfect" and then you have a microbubble problem? man, you're awful!

oh yeah, and :D

you suck at reefing. you spend like 5 years setting up a tank so it is "perfect" and then you have a microbubble problem? man, you're awful!

oh yeah, and :D

Yeah your mom sucks at........nevermind.

I dont know WTF is the problem. I've changed it 3 times and its still there. Everything works great in the tank but this one little thing is driving me nuts.

Yeah your mom sucks at........nevermind.

I dont know WTF is the problem. I've changed it 3 times and its still there. Everything works great in the tank but this one little thing is driving me nuts.

haha. i may actually have a microbubble problem too. its hard to tell if its microbubbles or just a bunch of particles b/c i don't have a filter sock or any mechanical filtration. i just bought a sponge that i'm waiting to be delivered, so maybe that will help me determine the problem. good luck with yours!

Thanks. I actually thought it just might be super small particles too but I watched really close today and I can actually see them pop when they hit the surface. I run a sponge on the intake of my pump, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. There are no bubbles getting to the pump so its in the line somewhere.

Whats your return pump? I'm about to upgrade to either a Magdrive 9.5 or an equivalent ehiem pump. Not sure what to pick. Leaning toward the MD

Dude, it's time to just re-plumb the whole damn thing.

Are they really that bad?

Have you tried a different return pump? I don't know if that will help, but it seems like you've tried EVERYTHING else over the last few months.

Whats your return pump? I'm about to upgrade to either a Magdrive 9.5 or an equivalent ehiem pump. Not sure what to pick. Leaning toward the MD

Mag7, get the eheim if youve got the money.

Dude, it's time to just re-plumb the whole damn thing.

Are they really that bad?

Have you tried a different return pump? I don't know if that will help, but it seems like you've tried EVERYTHING else over the last few months.

Bad enough to bug me. I want a new pump but I'm spending money on a bunch of other crap. Seriously, it's the only thing I dont like about my tank and if I could get rid of it I would be elated.

I have a MaxiJet in the last chamber of my sump with 1/2" tubing running into the tank. If I have the end of the tube in the water I don't have bubbles. Ghetto but it works.

DSCF6448.jpg

I have moved the tubing to the front of the tank instead of under the U-tubes so I just had to deal with getting rid of the bubbles & having the flow go the right way. I plan to use what I have learned in my plan for my contest tank.

Mag7, get the eheim if youve got the money.

Bad enough to bug me. I want a new pump but I'm spending money on a bunch of other crap. Seriously, it's the only thing I dont like about my tank and if I could get rid of it I would be elated.

that sucks..

Still just guessing here, but I think it has to have something to do with the pump. come to think of it, I had microbubbles in my frag tank I had set up a while back. Guess what pump I was using for the return (submerged too)......... ditch the mag.

that sucks..

Still just guessing here, but I think it has to have something to do with the pump. come to think of it, I had microbubbles in my frag tank I had set up a while back. Guess what pump I was using for the return (submerged too)......... ditch the mag.

I think I'm going to get a eheim. Had my eyes on a used one but FateX got it...............douche........

I think I'm going to get a eheim. Had my eyes on a used one but FateX got it...............douche........

beat him up and take it.

have you checked the blades on the impellor? sometimes when they get molded they will have a tiny seam which doesnt get removed which could/can cause tiny microbubbles

EDIT: you can shave the seams off with a razor blade to make the blades of the impellor smooth, causing less cavitation

have you checked the blades on the impellor? sometimes when they get molded they will have a tiny seam which doesnt get removed which could/can cause tiny microbubbles

EDIT: you can shave the seams off with a razor blade to make the blades of the impellor smooth, causing less cavitation

I'll check it out.

That's a Mag 3 I am running...no micro bubbles ever....I think that a submerged pump tends to give off more bubbles...????....possibly due to the heat?????

Archived