Cultivated Reef

Hang on filter mods

East1

i was buying some carbon today at the lfs( i didnt just go for carbon i wanted thier pair of mated clowns but some ###### bought them first, took all thier fish actually and live rock :/)

and i saw a hang on filter, as well as a 5gallon tall tank, for 20$ total

i was wondering, cus my tanks on the floor and i cant drill and have a sump, is there a way to mod the hang on filter(i was thinkin remove the bottom with a saw) so that if i place it with the hang on bit in the 5 gallon tank which would stand next to my 15gallon, it would act as a sump, but at the same level(idk if this is called a refrigium or what lol, dont get the names) but would the hang on be able to pump water into the acrylic back, then down into the sump, and then pull from the water in the sump back into the tank? it would mean i can hide my heater and have some powerheads that are easy to get at for adding filtration, as well as a deep sand bed, macro algae and pretty much making my water capacity greater, while increasing surface volume and surface agitation on the return from the HOB

ideas/crits wanted pleesee:D

oh my fraggin gosh!

This isn't a great idea. You'd be giong into a lot of trouble for a total of 20 gallon (more like 17-18).

You can always hide your heater under your rocks (like the bottom of the back wall, and stack rocks on top of it).

You can also get an AC 70 HOB Filter and mod it into a fuge with the basic necessities of carbon, floss, and some chaeto. Again.. you don't have to go that far to get a fuge. It'd be a lot of work in my opinion not very wroth it.

Archived