Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Any ideas for a small, unobtrusive, and effective HOB skimmer?

Nellis

I'm putting together a small rimless tank (24x12x18) and would like to skim, but more important to me is not ruining the aesthetics of the rimless glass. I've seen a few small HOB skimmers, but all seem to have the pumps in the tank, rather than in the skimmer itself. Is there even such thing as an unobtrusive HOB skimmer that has the pump in the skimmer body? I've seen the Prizm, but have heard nothing but woes.

One other consideration I had was the possibility of running an Aquaclear fuge mod (maybe a 70) and piggybacking a hob skimmer onto the filter... Don't know whether this would be possible or not though.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

-Nate

i think your choices are pretty limited. the only skimmer thats good and hob is the remora and that has a pump in the tank which you dont want. using a hob filter and hang a skimmer off it might work, but not sure how structurally sound that would be.

i think your choices are pretty limited. the only skimmer thats good and hob is the remora and that has a pump in the tank which you dont want. using a hob filter and hang a skimmer off it might work, but not sure how structurally sound that would be.

I was kind of dreading that answer, is the prism really as bad as they say?

i personally never used it, but from the US based reviews, its pretty bad. the Asia based reviews ive read dont seem all that bad.

smokey_the_bear
I'm putting together a small rimless tank (24x12x18) and would like to skim, but more important to me is not ruining the aesthetics of the rimless glass. I've seen a few small HOB skimmers, but all seem to have the pumps in the tank, rather than in the skimmer itself. Is there even such thing as an unobtrusive HOB skimmer that has the pump in the skimmer body? I've seen the Prizm, but have heard nothing but woes.

One other consideration I had was the possibility of running an Aquaclear fuge mod (maybe a 70) and piggybacking a hob skimmer onto the filter... Don't know whether this would be possible or not though.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

-Nate

well i am no expert but i did a 14 gallon biocube and used the biocube nano skimmer (40$) and got a whole lotta crap out of my collection cup. so mabey you could get a HOB filer and put a nano skimmer inside it. and LR rubble and such. just an idea :)

air skimmer is another possibility...if tuned right, they can produce some pretty good skim

DSC_0308.jpg

thats my 2 dollar skimmer with half of its body sticking out of the water to maximize the bubble contact time. the only thing about these skimmer is you need to replace the wood stone every now and then

Archived