Top Shelf Aquatics

Clean up crew #'s for 12 gallon

rayd8s

12 Gallon Eclipse, 15-20 lbs LR, 20 lbs LS, 1 green chromis, 2 snails and 2 red legged hermits.

How many more of a cleanup crew should I get? I want critters that eat the doodoo from fish/snails and any food that might make it to the bottom. As of now, I have no algae problem so don't think snails are my answer.

I plan on adding a clown fish in about a month after making sure the chromis is happy for awhile. Maybe some shrooms and definately some zoo's.

Personally I don't think you need anymore in the way of a cleanup crew. You already have snails and crabs and a lot of times people continue to pour in these critters without a need to do so.

That's my .02 cents.

*shrug*

newbiefishgirl

For the most part, I believe I have read this, but snails and crabs only eat the algae... not fish poop! As far as fish, snail and crab poop (do crabs poop? lol) i think the job is yours! Grab a air line and suck it out!! Bet ya never though the hobby required being a poop cleaner, huh ! :)

I was hoping there was an easier solution to vacuuming it out. I feel compelled to do it every couple of days because I don't want my water params to get out of whack.

Ok then, what's the easiest way to go about this - aside from my huge siphon tube? I don't want to suck up all my LS as I do this task. Any suggestions are welcome.

newbiefishgirl

Well I do this once a week with my water change. I use a very small air line tube... i just suck out the stuff i see laying on top of the sand. I try not to take out a lot of sand, as you said, and get just the bad junk.

Maybe some others have diffrent plans of attack! let's see what they post.

Really, I am thinking... I have a ten gal and dont see a whole lot of junk at the bottom like you are suggesting... your should not be much diffrent with it being a 12.

Well there isn't a "whole lot" of junk (((yet))). Just some turds and some garbage from the rock which was stirred up when positioning things around.

So a small airline tube does the trick? Gets enough suction? A small tube would be great - as getting behind and between the rocks will be tricky.

Who's got the best zoo's online?

newbiefishgirl

Yes, I would go with the small airline!!! Gets pleanty of suction!

Now about zoo's you really need to ask a more experienced than me. I am just getting into corals. I will tell you there is a forum on here that is called vendor feedback. I have heard a lot of good things on there about where to buy this and that! Try there

Hope this helps!

Rebecca

Thanks -- I have checked that board out -- some good info, was just hoping for more -- I'm GREEDY (LOL).

Ok - another trip to LFS -- everyone knows me and my kids by name -- it's embarrasing!

By the way, can members post polls? I'm interested in seeing what water test kits (brand/type) everyone uses.

newbiefishgirl

haha I know the feeling. They know me all to well also.

Yes you can post polls. I am not sure how it is done, but from time to time you will see a member asking an opinion question!

Have fun at the lfs. :)

If you want to be able to suck something up real easy just get one of those snot suckers for infants and attatch either hard or soft tubing to the end. You can then suck things out with ease an blow out into the sink. It also helps with spot feeding your corals/fish/inverts.

i have the same tank as you, and i have:

1-cleaner shrimp( eats left overs)

3-bumble bee snails (no idea what they do lol )

5-blue legged crabs (never see them do anything)

5- astrea snails (clean glass)

1- hitch hiking crab....

and my tank looks great no alege any more,and my tank is

2 months old....

Archived