Pod Your Reef

Phosphate question

Sergeant-G

ok so I havent gotten around to getting an RO unit yet, I bought a 5 gallon jug of RO water today. Supposedly their water goes through a water softener, then a carbon filter, through an RO unit, into a storage tank, then before bottling it goes through another carbon filter, through a sediment filter, through a UV sterilizer, then it is bottled. Now I was curious and tested the phosphate levels with a salt water test kit and it read I have .25mg/l of phosphates in the water, would the difference between salt water test kit and fresh water throw off my readings? just curious because I havent been able to find a consistant reliable source of RO water as of yet and my cycle is done so I need to do a WC. If anything I guess I could throw a bag of phosban in the mixing tub for a day or two to get rid of em. I know I will need to get a RO unit this whole buying water is just temporary. Any help would be great

Casey

Well, I don't really know if the salt water test kit gives a good measure but the times I have used it to test my RO output (fresh water) it has given me 0mg/L. I would recommend using phosban for a while (until you get your unit), however, make sure to not leave it more than a couple of days if it is aluminium based.

ok so I havent gotten around to getting an RO unit yet, I bought a 5 gallon jug of RO water today. Supposedly their water goes through a water softener, then a carbon filter, through an RO unit, into a storage tank, then before bottling it goes through another carbon filter, through a sediment filter, through a UV sterilizer, then it is bottled. Now I was curious and tested the phosphate levels with a salt water test kit and it read I have .25mg/l of phosphates in the water, would the difference between salt water test kit and fresh water throw off my readings? just curious because I havent been able to find a consistant reliable source of RO water as of yet and my cycle is done so I need to do a WC. If anything I guess I could throw a bag of phosban in the mixing tub for a day or two to get rid of em. I know I will need to get a RO unit this whole buying water is just temporary. Any help would be great

Casey

Archived