inTank Media Baskets

KH maintenence

WH8102

Hello

Do you have any suggestions for maintaining KH in an AP24, my dK is dropping and I am hesitant to purchase a pH buffer. My tank is cycling currently, so I don't want to do a water change. Any suggestions? If you do recommend using a pH buffer, what brands are reliable?

seachem reef builder is good stuff. works quickly, easy to dose, lasts forever. just follow the instructions carefully and you'll be good. i use it all the time on our coral system at work and my tanks at home.

dk dropping isn't rare in a cycling tank. what is it at?

a reliable cheap buffer is baking soda (not powder). you can bake the baking soda at 300 degrees and it'll increase pH more than alk (i suspect your pH is also dropping in a cycling tank) or add it straight and it'll increase your alk quickly and only increase pH a little. remember to dissolve either in R/O water before adding and do more research before you try.

The Propagator

Unscented Arm & Hammer Baking soda.

Cost the same maybe a little less then reefbuilder only you'll get a frigg'n 8 lb bag that will last a frigg'n year in an AP24. It does the same thing only safer. It buffers your alkalinity ( KH ) with out raising your PH. It does lower it a tad for a short period though. ( Like less then 4 hours or so its back to normal and the shift is minimal ).

COMPLETELY worth the trouble IMHO.

I don't know why every one isn't using it yet honestly.

dk dropping isn't rare in a cycling tank. what is it at?

I have been checking my levels every 2 days since I set it up on 9/29/08.

Here are my tested levels.

Ammonia=0

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

Salinity=1.025

Phosphate=0

pH=~8.2

Calcium=440-420-420-400

KH has decreased in the following fashion; 250.6-196.9-179-196.9

Have you got any corals in your tank? Mine when clycling was also decresing its kh and then I found out several corals in the live rock :) ... In any case, I sometimes use baking soda (as some other have told you) and it has worked so far...

I have been checking my levels every 2 days since I set it up on 9/29/08.

Here are my tested levels.

Ammonia=0

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

Salinity=1.025

Phosphate=0

pH=~8.2

Calcium=440-420-420-400

KH has decreased in the following fashion; 250.6-196.9-179-196.9

Unscented Arm & Hammer Baking soda.

Cost the same maybe a little less then reefbuilder only you'll get a frigg'n 8 lb bag that will last a frigg'n year in an AP24. It does the same thing only safer. It buffers your alkalinity ( KH ) with out raising your PH. It does lower it a tad for a short period though. ( Like less then 4 hours or so its back to normal and the shift is minimal ).

COMPLETELY worth the trouble IMHO.

I don't know why every one isn't using it yet honestly.

because i'm lazy and i get my supplies at wholesale :P

Archived