Cultivated Reef

Question about the Red Sea Mg Test Lab

bradeastondotcom

bradeastondotcom

Hey guys,

I just got the Red Sea Mg test lab, and I'm having a problem when I get to step 8.

The instructions say add 0.4 ml of reagent C, then continue adding reagent C mixing every 2 seconds till the test tube turns blue/end color.

So my question is, do I count the 0.4 ml of Reagent C that added in the first part of step 8, with the drop by drop adding of Reagent C ? Or am I counting just the drops after adding the 0.4 of reagent C ?

This is what I'm getting for the Mg test:

6.5 ml of Reagent C.

I add the total ml of Reagent C. (this is including the 0.4 ml at the first part of step 8)

And I'm pretty sure it is really low, cause I do weekly water changes with Crystal Sea.

Which I am starting to read has an extremely low Mg levels.

Thanks for the Help guys, just want to make sure I don't add too much Mg.

red sea mg test is crap and not accurate at all. i compared it to the elos test kit and it is off by a lot. i would get the salifert or elos kits as they are more accurate

but to answer your questions, they just want you to add 0.4ml of reagent C first, then from then on add the rest of the reagent c in drops until color change and record the amount of reagent added.

it would take too long to add the whole 1ml of reagent C in drops. and if it did change color after 0.4ml, usually means mg is too low.

i would either get another more accurate test kit or see if a local reefer have another mg test kit they could test your water with.

bradeastondotcom

Thanks for the reply.

They were out of the salifert at the lfs, which is what i always use.

So I got this one for the mean time.

I added a .25 ml over/after the initial dose of 0.4 ml

which means if im reading this correctly

I take my .25 ml x 2000=500.

Sorry just wanna make sure before i start dosing it. Can't be too careful in this hobby.

Archived