ReefCleaners.org

Wavemakers for a Cadlights 39G

perverseosmosis

perverseosmosis

I just added the first fish (two false perc clowns) to my tank. I have a Tunze Nanostream 6045 in there at the moment. They're pretty mellow fish, except for when the Tunze turns back on after feeding. The clackity clack noise it makes scares the poop out of them. The female dives down into this hole and doesn't come out for hours...

Now maybe that's just normal, but I'd like to find a way to prevent it. If I'd just had a nice meal of shrimp, I'd be stressed too if some black hunk of plastic in the dining hall started up like a wood chipper when the check came...

I assume that the wave maker style power heads don't make this ratchet noise when they start up. How are the VorTech series? I see that some people here have them, and like them. What I'd like some help on is appropriately sizing the pump for my tank (a Cadlights 39G). Do you just get one? Can you dial them back?

Thanks in advance, you've all been very helpful before.

perverseosmosis

One more question. I see some of these things have a "night mode". Until I pick one of these, do you recommend I turn off the Tunze at night?

I see where koralia makes a powerhead and controller for changing water direction in a tank, they are DC I think, I am kind of thinking about picking one up, a bit expensive but I have learned not to skimp and get the best of what I want.

WindCloudWRX

Tagging along. Do the vortech hold up good overtime? It's a first I've heard of it, so I'm wondering how durable they are. The concept is amazing, because my old pumps all wound up w/ rust, broken impellars due to heavy calcium encrusting.

perverseosmosis
Tagging along. Do the vortech hold up good overtime? It's a first I've heard of it, so I'm wondering how durable they are. The concept is amazing, because my old pumps all wound up w/ rust, broken impellars due to heavy calcium encrusting.

I dunno. After reading more here, I went with two Koralia 1's. The feeling I got from most of the posts I read was that the Vortech's were too loud.

In the meantime, my clowns have found a nice quiet place, behind all my rock work :o .

WindCloudWRX

How strong is the koralia's and do you have pics?

The vortech is a bit too loud too from what I've read.

I'm thinking about a TUNZE but the price is pretty hefty.

perverseosmosis
How strong is the koralia's and do you have pics?

I'm thinking about a TUNZE but the price is pretty hefty.

They come tomorrow. I'll be sure to snap some pics and post my feelings about it.

NancyPichette
They come tomorrow. I'll be sure to snap some pics and post my feelings about it.

I will be waiting for your reviews on the koralia's. I have the 28 Gallon JBJ biocube with HQI. The wave maker it comes with is quite noisy I ordered the Koraia 1 set yesterday. I had heard they were quieter but will wait for your post before I set mine up :). I' m still new to this forum, so if I hijacked this thread , I'm sorry!

Should I start a new thread ??

Nancy

I have the Koralia wavemaker with 2 nanos in my 22g cadlights. Just ordered Koralia 1's as the flow was a little less than I wanted. Otherwise very happy with the Koralia unit. Only complaint is that it should come with the photocell to auto switch to night mode.

I see where koralia makes a powerhead and controller for changing water direction in a tank, they are DC I think, I am kind of thinking about picking one up, a bit expensive but I have learned not to skimp and get the best of what I want.
perverseosmosis

So I got it setup. Quality seems quite good. I'm feeling like they may be a bit underpowered. I should have picked up the Koralia 2's instead of the 1's since I can dial them down anyway. So far they're very quiet and alternate very smoothly.

I didn't realize you need to drop an extra $30 bucks for the night mode sensor! Everything else in this world has a clock in it, but this needs an aftermarket eyeball <_< ...

Anywhoo, all in all, I'm happy so far.

I just installed a Vortech20 in my Cad39G this afternoon. Silent unless you put your ear right up to it. The manufacturer says it gets even quiter after a week.

NancyPichette
I have the Koralia wavemaker with 2 nanos in my 22g cadlights. Just ordered Koralia 1's as the flow was a little less than I wanted. Otherwise very happy with the Koralia unit. Only complaint is that it should come with the photocell to auto switch to night mode.

I just ordered the Kralia 1's for my 28 gallon HQI. It already has some type of wave maker that came with the system. I just received the Koralia 1's yesterday. Do you think this will be enough power for my system or should I have ordered the 2s? ( I haven't set them up yet, I'm still cycling my tank). My next question did you add them in place of your other power heads or with them? I'm not a real DIYS kind of person so would like to keep it simple, but at the same time I don't want power cords and things all over the place. Should I have ordered more powerful Koralia's and replaced where the other wave maker was? Is this even possible?

Has anyone done this with the Biocube 28 gallon HQI?

I received a Refractometer yesterday for my daughter. It works but when you look through the view finder you see gray specks of like dust all over, is this something that will go away, or is something possibly broken? Should I send it back?

Thanks Nancy

I found the Koralia 2's way too big for my Cad 39g (size-wise, not output). It was like having a small football in the tank. Check the measurements out before you head in that direction as I found them ugly on my size tank especially as my rock work goes all the way to the top of the tank. I've got 2 Koralia 1s now. Still big but way smaller than the K-2.

The K1's a just right for my tank but since you've got 6 more gallons to move the K2's might be better. Depends on what kind of flow you want really.

The K1's are the only pheads in my tank other than the 400+gph return locline and for me it's enough.

I just ordered the Kralia 1's for my 28 gallon HQI. It already has some type of wave maker that came with the system. I just received the Koralia 1's yesterday. Do you think this will be enough power for my system or should I have ordered the 2s? ( I haven't set them up yet, I'm still cycling my tank). My next question did you add them in place of your other power heads or with them? I'm not a real DIYS kind of person so would like to keep it simple, but at the same time I don't want power cords and things all over the place. Should I have ordered more powerful Koralia's and replaced where the other wave maker was? Is this even possible?

Has anyone done this with the Biocube 28 gallon HQI?

I received a Refractometer yesterday for my daughter. It works but when you look through the view finder you see gray specks of like dust all over, is this something that will go away, or is something possibly broken? Should I send it back?

Thanks Nancy

perverseosmosis

Ugh. So woke up this morning to find one of the pumps not spinning. I gave the impeller a little nudge and it started spinning. Not pleased to be going through this again...

Ugh. So woke up this morning to find one of the pumps not spinning. I gave the impeller a little nudge and it started spinning. Not pleased to be going through this again...

I might be mistaken- but I believe the koralias 1, 2s are not suppose to be hooked up to a wavemaker???

perverseosmosis
I might be mistaken- but I believe the koralias 1, 2s are not suppose to be hooked up to a wavemaker???

It came as part of a package, and the ends would only seem to fit into the wavemaker box. As an update, it hasn't done it since. Fingers crossed.

perverseosmosis
It came as part of a package, and the ends would only seem to fit into the wavemaker box. As an update, it hasn't done it since. Fingers crossed.

Lame, now the other one is making grinding noises...

Archived