ReefCleaners.org

water change during a cycle?

beefjerky402

i have been cycling my tank for bout a week or so and the water is starting to look dirty, can i do a 10% water change now or do i have to wait for the cycle to end?

I would wait personally. A cycle is a dirty ordeal. If you do a small change that it'll slow the cycle a bit. I'd really wait it out though and do a water change when the cycle is complete.

Cameron

I would do waterchanges depending on how high the ammonia is.

High ammonia = bad

Better to have a longer cycle with lots of things still alive, than a short one with everything dead :P

I think this is a minority opinion, but I’m not really convinced that small partial water changes during a cycle greatly affect the duration of the cycle (positively or negatively). Bacteria reproduce so quickly that a 10% WC shouldn’t put a dent in their numbers.

It would be nice if you could stop a cycle with partial water changes, but sadly you can’t. However, I feel that partial water changes can assist in ‘softening’ the cycle by reducing the material that is being broken down, reducing ammonia and nitrites, boosting pH, adding back buffers and trace elements…(better water quality).

In theory, if your ammonia peaks at a lower level, you should have less total die off. The less die off, the less ammonia that will be produced resulting is even less die off…(possibly even a shorter cycle).

Cycles peak at different ammonia levels, there isn’t a magic level that you are shooting for. In my opinion, cycles with lower ammonia and nitrate spikes yield better biodiversity.

During your cycle, I would avoid large water changes. However, with either small water changes or no water changes, your cycle will eventually complete. Be patient and wait until your ammonia and nitrites spike then return to zero before a large water change or adding additional livestock.

Others argue that partial water changes extend the time that your ammonia and nitrites are at dangerous levels (causing more harm than good). It would be nice to see a clinical study on this subject. However, I think you’ll be OK if you avoid large water changes.

I wouldn't do a WC during a cycle. And didn't during the cycle of the nano or FW I have.

I wouldn't be too overly concerned with top off water, unless there is a huge amount of evaporation.

Then again, I didn't add any critters to my tank while it was cycling. And the LR I used must have been pretty good because 'trites adn'trates never really did get very high. Each to their own I guess. Good rock. Bad rock. Plenty rock and not enough rock. Criterrs or not. All will effect your particular circumstances.

But as Ross says... Patience sux!

Do top off your tank everyday with RO/DI water (just like you will later on). It’s good practice and it will help keep your SG constant. Remember that you are trying to keep more than just bacteria alive; the diversity of hitchhikers on LR can be impressive.

My opinion is hands off. Considering that the rock was shipped around the world wrapped in newspaper, a little bit of stink won't hurt it too much.

Top offs affect nothing. I say go ahead.

Archived