Cultivated Reef

Fuge Design Help

Ulua

I am thinking about a HOB style fuge and was looking at the CPR and the other premade systems and was wondering why the pumps push water into the fuge and then siphon out instead of using an overflow type system that wouldn't dump water into the system if the pump stops.

Wouldn't it make more sens to have the pump pull water into the fuge like a power filter and then just have the bulkhead overflow water back into the main tank?

Has anyone ever thought about using a 2.5 minibow for a fuge and drilling an overflow and using a power filter to pull water into it? Build a box for it to sit on and its ready to go light and all.

harbingerofthefish

IMO a free flowing output makes alot more sense, and a lot less mess should something go wrong.

I have thought many times about building an over the tank fuge and plumbing a maxi-jet with some tubing to pull from the main tank and just over flowing into the main tank. The only draw back would be you still have to top off in the main tank, or have your float switch in the main tank, since the fuge level will be a constant as opposed to an under tank fuge/sump.

I've never thought about a 2.5 bow, I think it would probally be cheaper to drill a 5 or even have a box built. Although, if your main tank is a bow, and the fuge is above and visible, a bow fuge would look nice.

I bought a custom made glass fuge from a guy on RC a few months ago. It has a maxijet pump inside the fuge pulling the water into it. Works quite well and there is absolutly no chance of a flood. The diminsions are 17x18x5

intfront.jpg

extside.jpg

What's the purpose for the partitions. It seems to be alot more complicated than it has to be.

Is there a siphon break on the flow back into the main tank?

harbingerofthefish

The paritions are just to set up sections for the "fuge" filter (algae etc...) and to have seperate sections for the heater et al.

If you used a bow, then yes cutting acryllic maybe a little more difficult to use to section it off, althoguh that what silicone is for. Being that the paritions are inside and under no pressure, than if it's not a smooth fit, it's not going to be a big problem.

Ulua, if you think about it, he doesnt need a syphon break. The baffles in the fuge prevent the main body of water from the fuge to backflow. So if the power goes out, only the two outer areas will backsyphon...so no big deal...might be a 1/4gallon at most.

Originally posted by Mondo

I bought a custom made glass fuge from a guy on RC a few months ago.  It has a maxijet pump inside the fuge pulling the water into it.  Works quite well and there is absolutly no chance of a flood.  The diminsions are 17x18x5

That looks familiar. How do you like it? I ordered a 20x16x6 custom refugium on August 8, and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. It's probably going to be the single most expensive piece of equipment on my nano.

Archived