inTank Media Baskets

Glass canopy or Plexiglass between lights and water ??

SueAndLeo

Is it possible for the glass canopy that you buy at the local pet shop to filter out certain rays of the spectrum that you need from your bulbs ??   I only ask this because those canopies are tempered....  I could always get a piece of 1/4" lexan or plexiglass cut to fit instead....  I'm just curious....  Thanks

interesting point there. Does the tempered glass filter out some of the spectrum ?

I'm not sure about plexi-glass though. Will the high heat from PC bulbs close to it melt it ? I know acrylic melts easily.

Christopher Marks

As long as your lights don't get extreamly hot, like metal halides, acrylic is going to be your best choice.  Glass tends to filter out more light than acrylic when it is that close.  They are both good though in that they filter out UV rays.

• 2 months later...

So how far could a piece of plexiglass be away from my 2 32w pc lights?  i was told that i shouldnt use anything between these lights and the water.  What should i do?

who makkes your lights some manufactures make legs that go on ether end of the light fixture that holds them above the waters surface i think they kinda look kool gtg im gointo the fish store lol see ya cameron

• 2 weeks later...

The plastic will yellow with age and will NOT block any UV nor will it remail transparent Salt will cause permanant surface etching on acrylic and Lexan if lot removed wit MURIAC ACID or other soloutions. TRUE acrylic will remail clear if in contact with water constantly, byt evaporated Carbonates WILL etch and cause transluscancy. ALSO it will DEFRACT light and a true sepectrum will NOT be recognised deeper than 12 inches in a reef tank. Ron Shimik  (spelled wrong I believe..SORRY) spoke on it at MACNA 2000. I would cover my tanks with STARFIRE glass if you can afford it and also it will help to provide a more pure light spectral barrier for your U/V and PAR sensitive animals...

PAR = Photosynthetic Acuitave Radiance (sic)

i run my 20gallon high, with no lid at all. same with my 46bowfront ive noticed my corals have opened up alot more and are looking better then ever!

Archived