Cultivated Reef

nitrite - nitrate remover

NintendoKilledAtari

NintendoKilledAtari

anyone have any experience with nitrate removers in 7- 10- 15 - 20 gal nano reef tanks?

ie: DeNitrate, Kent Marine Nitrate Sponge,  Coralife Nitrate Controller, etc..?  

In my experience, the best, safest, most dependable nitrate remover is consistent water changes.  Why use chemicals when good husbandry is the best option?

NintendoKilledAtari

chemicals like nitrate removers are bad for nano reefs? why?  its a bad idea to place it like an optional filter media?

second2n0ne

I have used PolyFilters (floss impregnated w/chemicals) in the past when I have had ammonia spikes.  Obviously this is a solution when all else has failed (water changes, etc.).

i agree. why risk it by putting chemicals into the water when simple water changes are enough? the simpler the beter.

I'd agree, but I ended up using some of Seachem's prime because of the levels in my tank, esp since it's a cycled tank already, and I was worried about the livestock..I'm just planning on doing 1 gallon changes each day for awhile.....

What do you all think about using chemicals for "emergency" control?  My xenia's looking 1000 percent better since I added it, so I think it was the right choice, but that's from a FW convert.....

doing a 1 gal water change everyday wont help much because as each day goes by, the percentage of waste you are removing will lower.

ok, but with a 7 gallon tank, how much can you safely change at a time?  that's 14% each time, and I don't want to totally shock the system either.....

Archived