Coral Vue Hydros

How much cal, alk and mag do you consume daily?

xenon

I dose 9ml of Kent TechCB PartA (calcium), 9ml of Kent TechCB PartB (alkalinity) and 3ml of Kent TechM (magnesium) daily.

I am curious how much other members are dosing daily.

I dose by hand every 12hrs to minimize any ph spikes. I am looking into getting a controller/doser very soon.

70ml of Ca and Alk (Randy's 2 part) daily

That's a healthy amount for a 40g.

Do you use Randy's recipe#1 or recipe#2?

That's a healthy amount for a 40g.

Do you use Randy's recipe#1 or recipe#2?

Recipie #1. 2 cups of each part to make a gallon. The tank is mostly SPS and 2 clams.

• 3 weeks later...

I consume the daily recomended amount of 1000mg of Ca every day. Now as far as Alk and Mag go... I'll have to check the package on my Flintstone vitamins. :D

for my 18g tank, i used to dose 13ml tech a/b per day. also needed to suppliment with seachem calc and alk in the middle of the week to get to my desired levels. don't dose now that i am using a calc reactor. reefing is more fun now that i use the reactor.

The Propagator

1.5 dry ounces of baking soda for my alkalinity, and about .25 dry ounces of calcium chloride dihydrate.( if I broke it down in to days in stead of bi-weekly ) I guess that's around .... 1.5 dkh per day usage in alkalinity and around 3.9 ppm a day calcium ?

My system consumes way less calcium then alkalinity.

I STILL haven't gotten a magnesium test kit. Although if anything I am betting I am on the money or a little low when I test. I use Tech-M as per none testing directions for now.

Usually when calcium/alkalinity go off balance its because magnesium is low.

For every 20ppm of calcium that drops you can expect 2.8dkh in alkalinity so something does not sound right when you are getting a 3.9ppm drop in calcium and 1.5dkh of alkalinity.

The Propagator

I hate it when I hear exact numbers used.

That's completely dependent on the types of coral you keep, the salt your using, and what brand of additives your using for calcium and alkalinity. IMO you can not pin point usage in another tank to a defined set of numbers used in your own aquarium. Or on a chart.

Even if every thing is there in balance that does not always mean that they will be used up in balance.

Its just not possible to predict usage to a set number in balance or not. Because nothing ( even in a healthy captive reef system ) is truly ever in balance. ( including the nitrogen cycle )

The volumes of water we keep are just to small to do that. We can get them very close but not truly balanced.

So to pin point a set number for balanced usage is not really viable for us to use as a standard because it was determined in a lab under controlled conditions. You will likely never see a day in your aquarium when the exact amount of calcium and alkalinity are used up on a regular basis in equal parts.

The best we can hope for is to best guess it based by test kit results and probes, and adjust for it.

To many variables are constantly changing.

Prop is right. Thats why Scientists blow hot gas while Engineers do real work.

In answer to your question:

7.5 ml B-Ionic Part 1 2x per day (alk)

10 ml B-Ionic Part 2 2x per day (Ca)

5 ml Eco Mag 1x per week

And yes I test every week all three. dKH stays (now) at between 8-9, Ca 380-420, and Mg 1200-1300

TheUnfocusedOne
Prop is right. Thats why Scientists blow hot gas while Engineers do real work.

where would you be with out scientists?

youd be rubbing stick together and making houses out of rocks

3mL each of Natu Reef calcium and alkalinity. You guys have probably never heard of this stuff as it is produced by a guy here in south florida and you can only get it a LFS's and most of the LFS's use their additives exclusivly. Today was the first time I dosed and I got my dose spot on! I use up 20ppm cal a day, I forget what the alk was.

Archived