ReefCleaners.org

reef crystals precipitate

grave

I bought a bag of reef crystals from the LFS I worked at prior to it closing down a couple months ago, I finally tried to use them a week ago and the water mixed very cloudy with a white precipitate, I let the water mix for a day and it still had a bunch of precipitate, anyone know if the manufacturer will do free replacements?

Did you add too much salt to the amount of water you had in the bucket?

If so the water became way too saturated and that is why the water is cloudy.

nope, I usually add just .5 cups/gallon and then tune it up after, my primary salt has been reef crystals, no matter how small an amount of the mix I add, I still end up with solid white particles in the water which never dissolve, it is not as if I am adding the salt and then having someone (edit=something. its way too late) crash out of the solution after it dissolves, it just never dissolves. its like someone shreaded plastic and then added it to the mix.

The only thing that gets me about this whole thing is ive looked on every website of IO and its parent companies, never finding any customer service information. will probably just toss the bag

calc test and bio for science majors lab practicum at 7:50am tomorrow why am I on NR this late, ahh my fix..!

The Propagator

I would say it is DEFINITELY as you suspect as calcium precipitate.

If the bag had a pin hole in it or moisture other wise got in while it was stored this will happen.

Also could be just a bad batch.

Oh yeah.... ( taken from their website BTW :lol: )

"Call us at 1-800-822-1100, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time"

"If you're calling from Canada, please dial 1-440-255-1997."

http://www.instantocean.com/sites/instanto...us.aspx?id=1374

Most ask you to return the salt to the store you bought it from but seeing as this is a special circumstance I bet they will send you a new bag.

Good luck !

yeah I tried to post a message through that box but it just returns an error, I havent given them a call yet because I can usually never remember while im at school/work. I guess it must be done

Yes, it does sound like calcium carbonate, which precipitates if water is present in the salt, which in turn is hygroscopic (pulling water from the air). Also, remember to always add the salt to the water.

The Propagator

I've never had a problem dumping it in the bucket and then adding water, or the other way around.

Never precipitate in either case. Think it was because I have what I need to mix x amount of gallons down or what ?

If moisture has gotten into the bag of salt, or bucket. Then I would see it.

Happened with cracked lid on a bucket of Oceanic once. Every thing was fine until I decided to mix the bucket of salt. then I discovered a LOT of moisture in the bottom. I tried scooping it out an letting it dry but all the calcium was just to concentrated and clumped after it dried to rehydrate and dissolve I guess?

Archived