Coral Vue Hydros

Do I need a protein skimmer??

Skin

Hi guys and gals..

I am VERY new to nano - reefs.. so bare with me.

First here is my setup..

10 gallon acrylic

50 watt ebo jager heater

live rock, live sand..

penguin 550 powerhead

mini hang off the back filter (aqua clear mini)

Custom sea life power compact

1 - 10,00K Ultra Daylight and 1 - Actinic Blue.

The tank is about 3 1/2 months old..

I have been very persistant with my water changes and with suppliments as well..

I had a green algae break out about 2 weeks ago that seems to be doing better..

On to the real problem.. Every morning my tank is covered in what I believe is brown algae.. so much that after I clean it... crap is floating on the top of my tank constantly..

I have to clean the brown off my tank at least 2 times a day.

Corals seem to be doing great..

Frogspawn

polyps

mushrooms

xenia

So my question(s)...

1. How do I control the brown algae? Or do I wait it out…

2. Do I need a protein skimmer to help with cleanup?.. if so what brand / size to you people recommend for a tank my size.

3. How do I control the "crap" that is floating on the top of the water.

Sorry for the long winded message. I really appreciate your help and feedback.

Thanks,

Skin

first off the tank looks great, also why not try the prizm skimmers for a 10 gallon they are great also the cpr skimmers even a picolo skimmer. skimmers are not really necesarry unless you have a heavy bio load. most skimmers have a surface attachment that will suck up all the surface scum (oily stuff) they also make the attachment for the aqua clear filters

as for the brown algae you can wait it out , do more frequent water changes, and use a skimmer any combination of these will help, i say start with the sw changes before buying a skimmer.

aslo watch what and how often you feed-cheers

Hi Skin,

You can get a Red Sea Prizm Skimmer.

I do not know whether its is available in your country ?

I saw a few corals in your tank.IMHO , it would be better for you to have a skimmer that work along side the system.

You do not want to wake up one day in the morning to see your whole system Crash.

Nalin

Thank you both for your input. It is much appreciated. I'm glad I can go somewhere and get some suggestions.

ELGORDOINAVW... I did some investigation based on the suggestions you gave me.. I think both of those would work out fine and are in my budget.. my problem is real estate. with my powerhead, and HOB filter, I don't have enough room for the skimmer...

I called marine depot and they said the prizm skimmer is 7 inches long... I only have about 4.5 inches to work with..

I may have to roll up the sleeves and try a DIY method..

any suggestions on that?... or am I overlooking something..

thanks again for your input...

Your guys are great.

Archived