Cultivated Reef

Eheim 2213 for a closed loop (fixtured)

Haagenize

I decided the Eheim 2213 was better then the Eheim Ecco 2232 even though they are the same price, but I heard in the 2213, you have to manually prime it. Then I realized something, If i have my closed loop attached to the tank, as in holes in the tank, then bulkheads, how would I manually prime it?

neanderthalman

If the pump is lower than the water level in the tank, it will prime itself. Don't worry unless you've done something silly like hang the pump from the ceiling.

If the pump is higher than the water level, then you've got a problem. That's where you would want a "self priming" pump. All that means is that it is capable of evacuating the air that's inside of it to create enough suction to fill the impeller chamber, at which point it starts actually pumping.

That wasn't my question

If the pump is lower than the water level in the tank, it will prime itself. Don't worry unless you've done something silly like hang the pump from the ceiling.

If the pump is higher than the water level, then you've got a problem. That's where you would want a "self priming" pump. All that means is that it is capable of evacuating the air that's inside of it to create enough suction to fill the impeller chamber, at which point it starts actually pumping.

Yeah thanks a lot, now I am certain in getting the 2213 then instead of the 2232

Archived