Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Can a Auqaclear Mini be a refug?

Siejuban

I have a 5gal Minibow, just set up with LS, no LR yet (they are on the way by mail). I use a Aquaclear Mini and the back of the Minibow is not covered or painted, so light can pass thru the tank to the HOB filter, so, can this Auqaclear Mini be a refug? if Yes, shay should I do with it?

Yeap, I DO research, what I WANT to know is if AguaClear Mini Suitable to be a refug, I heard ppl using Aguaclear 500, not Mini, THANKS FOR YOUR KINDLY REPLY, although I don't like this mood in replying.

CALM DOWN!!! :angry: J/K What wetworx101 is refering to is a search on this site, not general research. Use this: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/search.php?s= I did a search here for what you're looking for and wetworx101 actually posted some great info on the subject. What he was getting at is that always do a search here before posting to see if anyone already asked the same question. That way he doesn't have to repeat himself every other week. Now I'm not going to post a link to the thread because I want to be an ass and make you find it. :P HTH!!!

Okay, he got me on a technicality, I gotta admit. I dont recall seeing anything smaller than a AC150 being used, but that doesnt mean it would be any different, just smaller. I have to question the usefulness of such a small fuge however, as well as a practical way of fitting a decent light on such a small filter...what is the area of that chamber on a ACmini? like 2"x3"? I suppose maybe a 5w power compact might fit, or a LED light...but I would use a much bigger AC personally. I have considered it before, but I would prolly use a AC500...lottsa space. Its just my practice, but I try to make my fuges at least 1/2 the volume of the main tank, not that that is needed to benefit, but I rely on a fuge to do 90% of my filtration with the LR.

If you're considering the AQ-mini because you already have one, then there's no problem not to use it. Put a few thumb-sized chunks of live rock in the bottom, and a wad of macroalgae in the top. turn the flow to the lowest setting. Leave the top off so that it gets more light, and trim back the macroalgae as often as possible.

I have both an AQ-150 and an AQ-300 running as refugiums, and they work great.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to upgrade my HOB to either AC 200 or 300 for my 5gal Minibow, so it is much better if there is some photo how to set it up, and I will also put the heater there. My problem is I dont have small chunks of LR. Can I use LS from my tank instead?

Archived