ReefCleaners.org

Question about AH Supply light size

lizbeth

Can anyone give me an idea of how much space the 13 watt bulb, endcap, and wire take up. Width and length? I'm looking at the bulbs that are 7.25 inches long. I'm trying to decide if two or three will fit my 5.5 hood.

Thanks!

The light plugged into the endcap is 7.5" in length, 1.25" in width and 1.125 in height. The glass of the bulb is an inch in width.   Add an inch for removing the bulb and maybe .25" for wire clearances since they come out the back.  The ballast is separate and measures 3.125" in length, 1.5" in height and ,1 7/8" in width.  They get burning hot when in operation.

when i did my eclipse 6 i did not mount the ballist on the back i mounted them in a stand i made they get really really hot but i lovet my 13 watt kit vrey nice for the price

i'm just got my 2 13w kit in yesterday.  fitted them all together and i think i could, if i wanted to, fit 3 13w's in my 2.5 DIY hood. i would bet that you could fit 3 over your 5.5.  good luck.

by the way how hot do the ballist get. planing on putting them on the back of my stand.  will i have a problem attaching them to wood?

Thanks everyone!

Now another question since you have experience with AHS. Did you get the blubs from them and which kind did you get. Since it looks like I can fit three in I thought I'd get 2 of the 6400 bulbs and one of the 10000K/Dk.B bulbs. I hope the color looks ok, any thoughts on that?

I'm going to mount the ballasts on the cabinet that the little stand sits on, I'm trying to get the heat away from the tank!

the color should be good I had a similar setup but with the med blue bulb ,but ihad got the reflector and the reflectors really concentrate the light ended up widing the reflector for the blue bulb almost to flat to lessen the concentration of the blue

To trail guide

the heat from the ballast is enough  to get burned a little  try to keep it away from the wall,you need to provide enough room for circulation so that ballast dont

shut off,they have thermal protection built in

i looked around before i got mine through ah supply i firse weht with the ones they supplyed then my lfs  had some that were alot better

lizbeth, i have 1 combo 10,000/dk. blue and 1 med. blue.  the light looks great with that set-up.  i think if i was to add another light i would go with the 6400.  IMO, i think that if you go with the 2 6400 and a combo, you wont have enough blue, but then again, you might not like that much blue in your lights, and it depends on what you are going to keep.

hope this helps.

tlyee63, thanks.  

• 4 weeks later...

Kim has all the dimensions right on the web site,even includes clearance for endcaps down to the 1/8".

Archived