Cultivated Reef

Pump for AquaEuroUSA 1/10hp Chiller

LebaneseDlight

LebaneseDlight

I just installed my AquaEuroUSA 1/10hp chiler last night. The chiller is sitting in the cabinet of my Solana, so it's not really far away. I'm using a Rio 10hf pump and it sits on top of the main pump in the back chamber. Here are the specs on the pump:

The Rio 10HF HyperFlow Powerhead Flow rate is 660 gph.

Max head: 7.5 feet

Connections: 3/4" output

Dimensions: 4.4" X 2.3" X 2.8"

Titanium impeller shaft with ceramic bearings

For freshwater and saltwater use

Complete with mounting bracket and suction cups, strainer with sponge pre-filter and inlet and outlet adapters

Must be fully submersed

The problem I see is that by the time the pump circulates through the chiller and back up the aquarium, the flow of the water is too weak. I can't really describe how weak, but if it's certainly much weaker than a faucet that you'd want to wash your hands in. Maybe the same level of flow of a water fountain that you'd be drinking out of? The chiller seems to be able to chill the tank in about 5 minutes (from 82 to 78). The chiller is on for 5 minutes, then off for five minutes (I have 250w MH Sunpod).

Is this normal? Should I get a stronger pump? i don't think my chiller is rated for anything stronger, and there isn't much room for a larger pump (maybe there's a smaller, more efficient one?). Also, the pump is pretty loud for a "quiet' pump! Any suggestions for a more effective, compact and quiet pump?

Thanks B)

greg

Archived