Innovative Marine Aquariums

Automatic Dosing System for Two-Part

PodRod

I'm shopping for an automatic doser for two-part solution and need some advise. I've never used a doser before so I'm unfamiliar with the brands and pros/cons of each. I have a very high calcium demand in my tank so I would like to automate the dosing process.

Who has a dosing unit that they are happy with and would recommend?

Not personal experience but from shopping around I found the GHL/Profilux doser about as nice as they come. I have to shut down my tank in a couple months when i move so I decided against purchasing for now.

Not personal experience but from shopping around I found the GHL/Profilux doser about as nice as they come.

+1.

I will be ordering a GHL Profilux controller with matching GHL 3pump doser very soon. The minimum amount you can dose with the profilux is 1ml/24hrs. I add 9ml of each part every 24hrs so that would be 9 doses.

Another option is the Spectrapure LitemeterIII. The minimum amount you can dose is 50ml per day but it will break that down into 150 doses over a 24hrs period. You would need to purchase an extra pump.

I use a Spectrapure Litermeter III with one external channel to dose B-Ionic 2-part, and I couldn't be happier.

Its extremely accurate, reliable, can be calibrated, and can be set to pump nearly any quantity you would want per 24 hours. It is also state-persistent, i.e., if power fails it doesn't forget its program or calibration.

I use a Spectrapure Litermeter III with one external channel to dose B-Ionic 2-part, and I couldn't be happier.

Its extremely accurate, reliable, can be calibrated, and can be set to pump nearly any quantity you would want per 24 hours. It is also state-persistent, i.e., if power fails it doesn't forget its program or calibration.

Since the LM3 can only dose 50ml/day do you have to dilute the 2part solution for your nano tank?

Since the LM3 can only dose 50ml/day do you have to dilute the 2part solution for your nano tank?

Yes, I dilute my B-Ionic (both parts) to a 25% solution by mixing one part B-Ionic to 3 parts RO/DI water to make sure my daily dose is above 50ml per channel. I dose 0.18 liters (180ml) per day per channel at the moment, so I could reduce the dilution somewhat, but it works fine the way I have been doing it.. As my corals have grown, the demand has slowly increased. (When I first added the LMIII, the daily demand was about half what it is now)

It can take a little while to get "dialed in", but it really is an amazingly convenient way to deal with supplementation.

This thread just reminded me that I need to dose for Alk.

I made a little DIY dosing system that has worked for me for months (I haven't set it up again yet since the tank move). It's really easy, inexpensive, works, but probably isn't as good as a LMIII or the Profilux.

I made a little DIY dosing system that has worked for me for months (I haven't set it up again yet since the tank move). It's really easy, inexpensive, works, but probably isn't as good as a LMIII or the Profilux.

BLASTPHEMY! NOTHING is better or as good than the LMIII. NOTHING!

(at least that's what I tell myself after spending $450)

Thanks so much! This is great information and exactly what I'm looking for. I travel frequently and my husband hates to dose. We'll also be away during the holidays so I want to limit the amount of maintenance that my neighbor will be responsible for. I have a Tunze Osmolator for an ATO and ACJR for light and temp automation so having a dosing dispenser will allow for feeding only while I'm away. I have a LARGE calcium/kalk need due to clams and SPS. I normally dose 20ml twice daily and it's slowing increasing. Thank goodness for Bulk Reef Supply!

I'd like to hear about your DIY system... Especially after reviewing the prices of some of these dosers!

BLASTPHEMY! NOTHING is better or as good than the LMIII. NOTHING!

(at least that's what I tell myself after spending $450)

After doing some research, I'm almost sold on the LMIII. Where did you find the best deal? MD?

After doing some research, I'm almost sold on the LMIII. Where did you find the best deal? MD?

I rigged up 2 Aqualifters on an electronic timer. It comes on 4 times a day. You just need to calibrate the time on with volume dispensed. Takes me about 5-min to dose 10mL. Total cost $40. Works like a champ. IMO, Two-part solutions do not require $400 medical-grade dosing eguipment.

DEFINITELY NOT! MD is a rip off when it comes to prices. I'd check with either ReefGeek or Premium Aquatics. I called PA and because I bought the main unit and a remote dosing pump they gave me free shipping.

I rigged up 2 Aqualifters on an electronic timer. It comes on 4 times a day. You just need to calibrate the time on with volume dispensed. Takes me about 5-min to dose 10mL. Total cost $40. Works like a champ. IMO, Two-part solutions do not require $400 medical-grade dosing eguipment.

Glad that works for you, but I'm sure you know it's not as precise. What if you need to change the amount you dose? Back siphon if the tube falls in the water?

DEFINITELY NOT! MD is a rip off when it comes to prices. I'd check with either ReefGeek or Premium Aquatics. I called PA and because I bought the main unit and a remote dosing pump they gave me free shipping.

Glad that works for you, but I'm sure you know it's not as precise. What if you need to change the amount you dose? Back siphon if the tube falls in the water?

You can simple measure the amount the pumps deliver to the tank per minute. You then can calculate any amount by time the pumps are left on. It is really pretty accurate. Aqualifters are pneumatic so no back siphon (my tubes are securely attached to a airline tube holder). Aqualifters wear out over time, but they only cost $11.

I just don't feel the level of percision is critical for dosing two-part solutions as long as you space out the total vol. needed per day over several doses. Maybe if you are dosing trace elements that can wipe out the tank, but 2-parts is pretty safe. I'm not saying it is as good as a LMIII, but most people don't want to spend $400 and this system worked out for me for $40. Just get a good programmable timer or use a controller like Reefkeeper or AC.

You can simple measure the amount the pumps deliver to the tank per minute. You then can calculate any amount by time the pumps are left on. It is really pretty accurate. Aqualifters are pneumatic so no back siphon (my tubes are securely attached to a airline tube holder). Aqualifters wear out over time, but they only cost $11.

I just don't feel the level of percision is critical for dosing two-part solutions as long as you space out the total vol. needed per day over several doses. Maybe if you are dosing trace elements that can wipe out the tank, but 2-parts is pretty safe. I'm not saying it is as good as a LMIII, but most people don't want to spend $400 and this system worked out for me for $40. Just get a good programmable timer or use a controller like Reefkeeper or AC.

Not to nit pick... but aqualifters are not pneumatic. They do back siphon. I've experienced that myself with those pumps. Once my tube fell in my sump during a water change. 8 gallons of salt water on my floor :(

I think I have seen check valves for a buck or so at walmart in the pet section. Used for air pumps to prevent back siphon. I imagine those would prevent the back siphon for an aqualifter application as well.

For a really small nano or pico, I imagine the precision might be more of a factor. I have heard people drip kalkwasser. Or use kalkwasser in their top off. I can't imagine either of those being more accurate but it works for them.

The range for alk and calc is fairly wide. Plus it will vary with what is in the tank consuming the product which is not constant itself. Regardless, the aqualifter concept to me sounds decent. No matter what system is used, regular testing of alk/calc is still needed.

That's my 2 cents. I actually like the aqualifter idea. I may try it.

Rather than buy a new Aqualifter, you can replace the diaphrams if that is what is worn out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aqua-Lifter-AW-20-Diap...p3286.m20.l1116

3 bucks plus shipping.

One more question. Does anyone have experience with the Aqua Medic Reefdoser Twin? Seem a lot less in cost. Feedback?

Yes, it is realiable and does a good job. I used one for top off. Takes a bit to figure out how to program, but once this is figured out, the rest is easy.

Rather than buy a new Aqualifter, you can replace the diaphrams if that is what is worn out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aqua-Lifter-AW-20-Diap...p3286.m20.l1116

3 bucks plus shipping.

Thanks for the tip on the replacement diaphrams. Also, they also sell a prefilter for the aqualifter that is useful for dosing 2-part or kalk since you can get some sediment at the bottom. It will help prolong the life of the pump.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the liter meter III system 2 weeks ago. Everything has gone great. Was easy to set up and my levels have been consistent(tested ever day for 2 weeks). So far I am very happy with the purchase. :D

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I got the Litermeter III and FINALLY received my remote external pump today. I calibrated both pumps per instructions. Since the minimum I can dose on a daily basis is 50 ml, I diluted the 2 part solutions with RO/DI by 20% since I normally dose a total of 40 ml per day. I have the flow set to .05.

Nothing is happening - what am I doing wrong? I have pumps A and B on RUN and the master control is set to ALL PUMPS ON. C is off since I"m not using a 3rd pump. The power light is on and the SYSTEM light is blinking as it should. They both worked during testing and calibration but nothing has happened since I turned the system to RUN.

Suggestions????

Ok, so I got the Litermeter III and FINALLY received my remote external pump today. I calibrated both pumps per instructions. Since the minimum I can dose on a daily basis is 50 ml, I diluted the 2 part solutions with RO/DI by 20% since I normally dose a total of 40 ml per day. I have the flow set to .05.

Nothing is happening - what am I doing wrong? I have pumps A and B on RUN and the master control is set to ALL PUMPS ON. C is off since I"m not using a 3rd pump. The power light is on and the SYSTEM light is blinking as it should. They both worked during testing and calibration but nothing has happened since I turned the system to RUN.

Suggestions????

It's on. It doesn't deliver fluid all the time. It delivers a set amount preiodicaly throughout the day.

Thanks bdare - I just wanted to make sure. I set beside it for a long time and watched for the lights. I guess I thought the A and B lights would come on when the pump was operating but no lights and I cannot hear the pump at all. Is that still normal? Just want to make sure...

Thanks bdare - I just wanted to make sure. I set beside it for a long time and watched for the lights. I guess I thought the A and B lights would come on when the pump was operating but no lights and I cannot hear the pump at all. Is that still normal? Just want to make sure...

Definitely. Mine is set to like .9. I still don't hear it that often. Draw a line on your resivoir and I gaurantee you'll see it go down. Sometimes when I'm in my sump poking around I'll move the hose connected to the pump so that it's resting against my door. I can hear the hard tube vibrating against the wood door when it kicks on. It's literlly on for like 1-2 seconds.

Archived