ReefCleaners.org

Remora HOT using a different pump?

midna

I have a 10g false wall aquarium and also have a Remora HOT skimmer. Unfortunately my space behind my false wall is starting to be limited as I already have 4 powerheads!

Is it possible to remove one of my pumps (consequently one of them being the maxijet that came with the remora), buy a bigger pump, and put a Y on the out, one side of the Y going to the remora?

Is there a pump size anyone would recommend? Just 2x the maxijet? Is a bigger pump going to make the remora work less efficiently?

Do you mean a Remora HOB nano skimmer?

4 powerheads in a 10 gallon tank, seems excessive but who knows what they all do. Most with this skimmer use a MJ900 or upgrade to a 1200. Meaning that you will want the full amount of water from the powerhead for the water injection into the skimmer. I can't see splitting that power in half making the skimmer any bit effective.

I have a nano remora that comes with mj900. I always wondered what will happen if I replace it with mj1200 so I bought one to test it. The original mj900 took a day for foam to start coming up the tube. with the mj1200, 3 days later, foam was still not coming up the tube at all. so I put back the mj900 and within one hour, foam was coming out over the top of the tube. so changing the pump may not work out for you, for sure it did not work out for me.

^^^what she said!

the way how the remora skimmer works is spraying the water into the chamber to create bubbles, it needs pressure to force the water out the nozzle. if you put a Y, one going to the skimmer, one going to the return or wahtever, the water will find the path of lease resistance and the majority of the water will end up flowing to the return.

you CAN put a valve on the return to limit the flow. that would force some of the water to the skimmer

Archived