Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Newbie trying to Find a Ballast

toefu

I've read all the threads on the how tos on the 70 watt and 250 watt items. I'd just like a suggestion on what is best. I also have a list of items that if anyone could answer would be great.

I'm currently running 1x 13watt compact fluorescent 50/50 on my 3 gallon eclipse 3 nano. I'm looking to upgrade to 70 watt metal halide or even 175watt. I noticed that the 70 watt ballast has went up in price alot on ebay, so please advise me on the best option.

I saw an Magnatek M-57 Ballast on ebay. What can i power with that? according to the one page on nano reefs forums, it claims it is a probe start, so can i pretty much power any 175 watt mh bulb with this? given i have the correct connectors?

I frequently see 400 watt metal halide Grow light bulb fixtures on sale on ebay for cheap. They use single ended MH bulbs. Could I say purchase this and replace it with a 10k 175 watt Ushio bulb? (this would be for my not yet setup 55 gallon tank, not the 3 gallon nano)

or a 250watt M58 Metal Halide Ballast, made by advance. Is this what everyone talks about running the iwasaki bulbs on ?

and lastly, the M98 70 watt ballast. Is this ballast usable with with the 70 watt catalinas and 70 watt ushios? (double ended that is)

Thanks for any help you can give this newbie.

are you talking about a 175 for the 3 gallon?!?!?!??!?! that is CRAZY and then you say somehthing about a 400 watter. You will boil the coral with thoes.

I would stick to the 70 watt bulbs!

hehe, Yeah, i have a 55 gallon here that i built a canopy for about 1 year ago. It was home to a freshwater arrowana. Looking to convert it into a reef within 1 year. Which should be good timing because i figure the corals in the nano would need a larger and newer home.

Be Very, Very, Very careful when using the 70watt over the 3 gallon. I would recommend you have a glass aquarium, or at least a different hood.

as for ballasts I would recommend Electronic. All the ones forementioned (magnetek) are Core and coil or magnetic.

the Electronic are quieter, cooler, give you longer bulb life and give better bulb color.

you cannot replace a 400 w bulb and ballast with a 175. the 175 will explode or have a very short life(overdriven)

I do believe you can run the a 250 with that advance ballast. They should run Iwasaki bulbs.

The M98's have not been confirmed to run the 70w DE bulbs. Stick with the M85.

Stick with a few bookworms on the three gallon until you upgrade. It is cheaper and safer. you may want to look into a 2.5 glass tank for that halide. I would not puy a 175 on anything smaller than a 5.5 gallon, unless it was mounted extra high.

Archived