Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

18 watts on a 12 gallon enough?

Korbin

I have a little clip on, 18 watt JBJ light on my 3 gallon eclipse.  I'm wondering if it would be enough light if I just screw it into the lid of my 12 gallon eclipse.  It has a blue and white bulb, each about 7 or 8 inches long.  I want to use this light if I can, maybe even if it means I can only have mushrooms and polyps.  Should I just spend the $ for a new light?

quiksilver5768

You could get it to work.....

I would talk to the member; mermaid123 about her tanks. Look in the member's reef section. She has only 2x13 watts on her 12 gal and it looks very healthy from those pics. This would only cost 20 bucks from ahsupply.com and about 30 min of your time to set it up. The bulbs are also very cheap to replace. Iw ould just spend the 15-20 bucks and get a 2x13 watt kit.

NanoReefer53

I think he's referring to the JBJ ones for like $50. They clip onto the back of the tank.

With that on a 3g, you'll be able to keep a healthy variety of softies.

Yeah, thats the one.  My corals are doing great with that light in my 3 gallon.  I have 3 different mushrooms and a candycane.  I'm starting to doubt whether it will be enough on a 12, though.

NanoReefer53

no, not on a 12. You'll need 2 of them or you can get the 36w one instead. I believe it's $60 on e-bay.

Ahhh....My favorite posts!

Go with more light, you'll be happier in the long run.

Stop me if you heard this one before folks ;)

What you have will be enough to sustain some soft ocrals, but they won't look healthy and they surely won't thrive.

I would suggest 2x36W for a good light fixture for a 12. Bare minimum in my opinion is 1x36w. But 18 W is barely what an Eclipse6 has as a stock light...not enough at all!

Trust me the $70-100 investment pays for itself in what you get out of them. I know cost is a factor in a lot of peoples minds, but th lights pay for themselves when you look at the fact that the corals grow rather than die under good light. Trust me....don't make me tell you I told you so in a few months.

thegr8tdane

The Fish is right Corbin listen to him. I know you want us to say yes it'll work but Ive done my research do not skimp on your lights. You will invest alot of money on your corals, there expensive you don't want to keep them just struggling to stay alive. You want them to thrive. Man. :) Any how I have a 10 gallon and I saved some $ and didn't skimp on my lights either. I use a Lights of America 65 watt 6500 k Power compact outdoor spotlight and just got my 2x 13 actinc03's from ahsupply. All for under $80.

This is just my opinion but what changed my mind is that it would really suck when my corals die after I've been warned from more experienced reefers warnings.

Nano reefing is not really THAT experimental any more and I'm sure a few have already tried it and it didn't work or we would have seen it...

Thanks for the advice.  I think I'm going to just spend the money on the lights.  Now all I have to do is get a job and find out where I'm going to live so I can finally set up my 12 gallon!  Gaaahh!!!

Archived