inTank Media Baskets

Octopus NW-110 - thoughts?

gvidoni

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here have experience with the NW-110? If so, how has it held up over time and is the skimmate fairly dry or contain a large volume of water?

Also, what's the difference between the recirculating and non-recirculating Octopus skimmers?

Thanks ahead of time.

GV

I'm looking at using this skimmer for a 65 gallon I'm setting up (will have a total of 94 gallons in the system including the 'fuge). Would this skimmer do it, or should I look for something a little stronger? I'm planning on a softy reef that may end up being having fish with a heavier bioload.

I've been using one for ~1week, replaced a Tunze 9010. The octo took about 5 days to start skimming but in the 3 days since it did, it pulled more in 3 days than the Tunze would in 1 week (Tunze is a great skimmer, just oversized for my bioload). I think the NW110 would definitely benefit from a gate valve for adjusting, I'll be adding that as soon as Savko gets the valves in. Other than that, I have some enkamat and was considering adding a layer, but will see after I get the gate valve on. May not need it really.

Which gasket mod?

I've checked that thread a number of times, but most of the mods are for the older models, not the newer funnel neck which seems to have a better venturi than the older ones? One I get the valve in, I think I'll also do one layer of mesh and see how it goes. I've got a spare impeller so I can switch back and forth to compare.

BTW - what size gate valve did you get? I ordered 1" which seems to be the size needed... they're on back order, so I can still change if needed.

Which gasket mod?

I've checked that thread a number of times, but most of the mods are for the older models, not the newer funnel neck which seems to have a better venturi than the older ones? One I get the valve in, I think I'll also do one layer of mesh and see how it goes. I've got a spare impeller so I can switch back and forth to compare.

BTW - what size gate valve did you get? I ordered 1" which seems to be the size needed... they're on back order, so I can still change if needed.

The very first mod that is mentioned in that RC thread - my gasket was just about covering the entire air hole before I trimmed it down. My gate valve is 1" - I bought the gate valve mod as a package with my skimmer. I did the fishing line mod with the impeller with good results. I do have mesh, but have'nt done that mod yet.

I see. I will check it out for sure, easy enough to do, though I think they may have re-design the volute / venturi on the newer ones. Will find out soon enough... Thanks for the heads up.

Wish I'd ordered it with a gate valve mod already. Cost me $20 in parts and only $29 on the site. Would have rather paid the extra to just have it done, as it's totally necessary. So annoying to fiddle with the standpipe.

I think if you order it direct from marine solutions inc. I'd suggest doing that, it cost me $18 for a gate valve (cheapest I could find online) plus another few bucks for the PVC parts & glue. They sell it for like 29, so may as well have it done already. I wouldn't suggest this skimmer without one. They should just make it standard.

Thanks all for the replies. I just got it yesterday and have had it running for about 12 hours. It's pretty quite and there seem to be a healthy flow of tiny bubbles filling the skimmer column (it's pretty much milky white with bubbles). I think I'll do the gatevalve mod at some point.

In the meantime though, how does the output adjustment work? If you lower the output sleeve does that increase, or decrease the water level inside the skimmer? Does a lower internal water level produce dryer skimmate?

Right, up = higher h20 = wetter skimmate. down = the opposite. Right now I have the water level just below the top of the funnel, but got gate valve from UPS today, so will be taking care of that + a layer of enkamat in the next week or two.

• 5 weeks later...

Mine is kind of buried in my sump so a photo isn't going to show much. Maybe someone else has a more transparent set up.

For those of you that have this skimmer -

It's been running now for a couple of weeks and the most I get out of it is a wet, tea colored skimmate. I have never once seen foam rising up the funneling neck and into the collection cup in spite of playing around with the level quite a bit. I think all of the collected skimmate is actually from spray that drips down off of the baffle on the collection cup lid.

In other words, it's not really producing foam in spite of the fact that tea colored water is dripping down and collecting.

Does this sound right to you? Also, how far down in the skimmer column are the bubbles filling in your unit? I would say mine is about 50% full.

Mine is kind of buried in my sump so a photo isn't going to show much. Maybe someone else has a more transparent set up.

For those of you that have this skimmer -

It's been running now for a couple of weeks and the most I get out of it is a wet, tea colored skimmate. I have never once seen foam rising up the funneling neck and into the collection cup in spite of playing around with the level quite a bit. I think all of the collected skimmate is actually from spray that drips down off of the baffle on the collection cup lid.

In other words, it's not really producing foam in spite of the fact that tea colored water is dripping down and collecting.

Does this sound right to you? Also, how far down in the skimmer column are the bubbles filling in your unit? I would say mine is about 50% full.

bring the water level to the base of the collection cup and leave it alone! while its breaking in messing with it only makes it take longer. Octopus skimmers take notriously long times to break in, especially if you have a low bioload. dont worry it will kick in assuming everything is working correctly

Could someone post a photo of this unit installed?

well its not the NW-110 but close enough (same diameter body, same oct-1000 needle wheel pump, same neck size, same performance, paid the same price lol). no mods (well stock venturi hole dremelled out but thats all). the main difference from the NW-110 is the pump elbow has been eliminated to improve performance and a bubble plate was added to reduce turbulence but actually brings performance right back down to near NW-110 level (which was why its discontinued) and the collection cup and top design is from the DNW-110.

30gallonsetup79.jpg

30gallonsetup80.jpg

30gallonsetup50.jpg

30gallonsetup49.jpg

30gallonsetup66.jpg

30gallonsetup69.jpg

Archived