SaltCritters.com

Bulkheads

JustReef

So I'm looking at bulkheads for my tank and I see that there are a few different kinds.

Slip/Slip

Thread/Thread

Thread/Slip

etc.

I think I understand what they mean, one side is threaded and the other is just slip on.

If I were to get slip on for the exterior, how do I attach anything to it? Do I have to cement PVC? I'd like to be able to tank the whole thing apart in case I move or need to work on something. How do you guys do your plumbing?

I usually use the slip/slip just because when i glue the pvc into the bulkhead i know that as long as I use a decent amount of glue and clean the peices with a solvent ahead of time that I am less likley to have any kind of leak at that joint than if I were to thread things together, yes making things portable is nice but if you dont want to use pvc pipe you could get the one of the other types of bulkheads like a thread/thread place a fitting on the back to run the flexible hose and then thread a locline fitting in the front to make your flow adjustable and put the flow exactly where you want it in your tank.

here is an example of what i have done in my 24 gal nanocube

I used slip/slip bulkheads to make connecting my overflow and my inlet into the tanks back chamber easier to take down and clean, starting from the inside of the tank on my drain/overflow side is my pvc overflow fitted into a slip/slip bulkhead glued a pvc street ell to a slip/threaded coupler which i have a threaded nipple, on the nipple I have the flexible tubing running to another nipple into pvc down to my sump.

that is just the drain side but its pretty much the same for both, the reason the small amount of flexible tubing is there is incase I move and need to take down the tank, basically so I can take the tank off of the stand and remove the sump from the stand to make it easier to move.

Archived