Top Shelf Aquatics

High Quality Sea Salt Mix

jervismun

Hi guys

I have difficulty identifying the brands which are NOT made through evaporation/solar process.

Appreciate if you guys can help throw in some leads for me.

Thanks in advance :)

The Propagator

Good luck with that.

I am fairly positive ( although I could be wrong) 99.9% of the bunch uses solar or some fore of evaporation process via salt ponds, or brine mix. But it is refined. You don't have to worry about phosphates, nitrates, and silica's any more.

the issue snow is who has to much or to little of certain essential elements. The have pretty well ALL perfected the evaporation and refinement process who use it.

veshman,

Yes it is made in a Lab......a Marketing Lab! :)

Anyway... I use it and am quite happy.

I agree with Prop. All aquarium salts are made in evap ponds and later processed/cleaned in a factory. (trace elements added)

Good luck with that.

I am fairly positive ( although I could be wrong) 99.9% of the bunch uses solar or some fore of evaporation process via salt ponds, or brine mix. ...

Red Sea and DD are pretty clear that they evaporate water from the ocean to make their salt mix (and then doctor it to increase things like calcium and such.) Others like IO seem to be pretty clear about the fact that theirs is a synthetic formulation. From http://www.instantocean.com/sites/InstantO...ge.aspx?id=1300 "... Kelley eventually achieved his goal, creating a synthetic sea salt that maintained invertebrates indefinitely."

I don't doubt that evaporation could be involved even if the salt does not come from the ocean. Salt can be mined by injecting water in the ground and pumping out the brine or brine from a salt lake could be evaporated to make salt crystals. In either case I think it would be fair to call the resulting salt synthetic since it is formulated from raw materials that did not come from the ocean.

So, is the issue the process used to obtain the salt or the source of the material processed?

-hank

Archived