ReefCleaners.org

blow or suck

jstewart0

I just finished my hood for my 9 gal. and ive had it running for a week or so now.  The temp in the tank is 85 deg. so I went and got a small computer fan.  The hood is covered with plexiglass so evaporation shoudnt be a big problem, now which way should I mount it?  Blowing into the hood or sucking out?  Thanks for all the help.

I would really recommend removing the plexiglass. It will prevent gas exchange which is very important for maintaining stable O2, CO2, and pH levels. It will also absorb light, esp if it gets salt creep on it.

As for the fans, I would mount them so that they're blowing into the canopy. If you have them blow out they pull a lot of moist, salty air through them which causes them to corrode much faster.

-Chris

The best is one fan on one side sucking, one on the other blowing. For a single fan I would go with sucking, as in sucking the air out of the hood and blowing it out to the room.

NanoReefer53

I would actually rather have it blowing in. It's stronger this way and if there's adequite ventillation in the hood, the hot air will be forced out somewhere. Better for the fans too.

I second the blow in.  I have experienced with the fans sucking out and those fans rust/fail 10x as fast as the one blowing in.  

blowing is a lot better than sucking

I have 2 fans on my nano and it's cooler when their

blowing rather than sucking,my tank temp gets 85+

with the lights on

• 2 weeks later...

When you suck air out of a hood the ball bearings on the fan can rust over time because of the moisture in the air. Air blowing in has actually kept my tank cooler then it was when I had the fan in the other direction. I only have about a 1-2 degree increase in temp with the PCs on... And I agree with takeing the cover off the tank. Gas exchange is prolly the next most important thing to lighting in a reef tank.

Archived