Innovative Marine Aquariums

My clown going crazy

viejito55

My clown was going mad this morning, he was swimming up and down. then was swimming very fast all through the tank. I changed 5 % of the water the night before. I don't know if that has something to do with it???

is this normal?

its a 4 gallon

3 pounds LV

If it has been doing this for long periods of time, I would say that isn’t normal. Sounds like a stress response to something.

As far as your water change, did you match to new water’s temperature and SG with that of your tank?

I always put a powerhead in my mixing bucket to mix the salt for 24 hours before using it. I’ll add a spare heater after the salt is dissolved (I feel this helps prevent deposits forming on my heater). I always make the saltwater a little strong so I can adjust the SG with RO/DI water (instead of adding more salt). After the SG is right (same as your tank, not necessarily your target SG), and the temperature matches your tank (SG varies with temperature so check it again when your temp is right), I siphon out a little less water than I made and then siphon in my new water (to avoid disturbing anything in my tank).

This is more for corals, but my LFS dealer shuts off her lights before water changes and leaves them off for awhile after to reduce stress on her corals.

Your clownfish should settle down. Check all your levels to see if all is OK. Good luck. :)

I only changed 1 liter(1/4 of a gallon) of new salt water to my 4 gallon. Before I left for work he settle down a little was just swimming up and down the glass. I hope he is ok when I get back from work.

May be I should use distilled water, I am using tap water with a chlorox and metal stabilizer.

I wouldn’t think that your clownfish is responding directly to tap water, but you are correct, you shouldn’t be using it. With such a small tank, using distilled water won’t be that expensive. I’d test the distilled water’s copper levels, if copper tubing is used in the process, it could be high in copper.

Note: If you use distilled water, you shouldn’t need to add any water conditioners.

Archived