Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How long do you mix your salt & water for?

aparnold

Hello All,

In a previous thread I've discussed switching over to mixing my own water. Well, long story short a few of my corals (Zoas an Rics) have been a little unhappy; not fully extending for a day or two after a water change, while other corals were just fine...

Anyhow, I was discussing this with a fellow reefer and he suggested that I wasn't mixing my water long enough. Namely, I'd been mixing for about 4 hours with a powerhead and heater until the salt (Tropic Marin Pro) was fully dissolved. He said I should mix it for at least 24 hours because although the salt may have dissolved it may not have completely bonded with the water. And this in turn could be hard on the corals.

So I just started a new batch of water this morning, and I plan on mixing it for at least 24 hours this time. I'm also using an airstone in addition to the powerhead and heater this time.

So my question is this: Is there a consensus on how long to mix salt for, and what function does aerating the water while its mixing serve?

I have done it both ways, mix for a few hours then change, basically the time is getting it up to temp.

I have also let it mix for days, mainly because I didn't get time to do the change after preparing.

On my water change thread, people have done it both ways as well. IME, I have not had any issues, but you do want to make sure that all of the salt is disolved.

Have you recently switched salt brands or the source of the salt, ie is this recently after possibly getting your water from a LFS.

The airstone is in there to aid in mixing, but also so regulate and increase the PH to better match your tanks.

Hello All,

In a previous thread I've discussed switching over to mixing my own water. Well, long story short a few of my corals (Zoas an Rics) have been a little unhappy; not fully extending for a day or two after a water change, while other corals were just fine...

Anyhow, I was discussing this with a fellow reefer and he suggested that I wasn't mixing my water long enough. Namely, I'd been mixing for about 4 hours with a powerhead and heater until the salt (Tropic Marin Pro) was fully dissolved. He said I should mix it for at least 24 hours because although the salt may have dissolved it may not have completely bonded with the water. And this in turn could be hard on the corals.

So I just started a new batch of water this morning, and I plan on mixing it for at least 24 hours this time. I'm also using an airstone in addition to the powerhead and heater this time.

So my question is this: Is there a consensus on how long to mix salt for, and what function does aerating the water while its mixing serve?

I mix my Tropic Marin (not Pro) overnight if I can. Sometimes I have only been able to wait an hour & it has been fine. I use 1g jars & a Maxi-Jet 900 in one & 1200 in the other. The water is nice & warm when I finish! :D

Have you recently switched salt brands or the source of the salt, ie is this recently after possibly getting your water from a LFS.

The airstone is in there to aid in mixing, but also so regulate and increase the PH to better match your tanks.

Yes, I am in the process of switching from LFS Corallife mix to mixing my own. Here is the original thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=169772

As for the airstone, How does it help regulate the PH? Maybe this has been part of my problem.

And thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I am in the process of switching from LFS Corallife mix to mixing my own. Here is the original thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=169772

As for the airstone, How does it help regulate the PH? Maybe this has been part of my problem.

And thanks for the quick reply!

I have herd of stories where corals get upset when changing salts. There is a lot more in major salt brands than just salt itself. Calcium and other trace elements are added, so it may be a reaction from that.

PH is all about disolved CO2 & O2, so the air stone is basically imputting that into the water regulating the PH. In your tank, flow and filtration is impacting gas exchange into the water, in a bucket, it really isn't moving, just mixing so PH can be lower than your tanks without the stone.

I have herd of stories where corals get upset when changing salts. There is a lot more in major salt brands than just salt itself. Calcium and other trace elements are added, so it may be a reaction from that.

PH is all about disolved CO2 & O2, so the air stone is basically imputting that into the water regulating the PH. In your tank, flow and filtration is impacting gas exchange into the water, in a bucket, it really isn't moving, just mixing so PH can be lower than your tanks without the stone.

Thank you, so here's a question. Say I have a gallon of left over after my water change, and I'd like to use it 3 or 4 days later (It'll sit in a dark closet), should I aerate the water again before using the left over water? If I do, how long should I aerate it for?

Thank you, so here's a question. Say I have a gallon of left over after my water change, and I'd like to use it 3 or 4 days later (It'll sit in a dark closet), should I aerate the water again before using the left over water? If I do, how long should I aerate it for?

yes, I would, also for the reason that some of the salt may have precipitated out from lack of flow. Also check the SG since evaporation will occur and it maybe highter than than the days before.

If you are concered or see a problem with your corals like you are, it is best to test your new water for PH before hand, that way you are certain they are matched.

yes, I would, also for the reason that some of the salt may have precipitated out from lack of flow. Also check the SG since evaporation will occur and it maybe highter than than the days before.

If you are concered or see a problem with your corals like you are, it is best to test your new water for PH before hand, that way you are certain they are matched.

I mix and keep the water in a 5 gallon jug, so I'm not concerned about evaporation, But I'll be sure to aerate in the future before using left over water, and check the PH.

The Propagator

Meh..... I mix it up let her sit for 30 minutes or so.. adjust the salinity let her sit for 30 minutes more and as long as Its at or just below room temp I do the change directly after I get the salinity right.

Alot of it depends on how fast the salt mix your using dissolves. I use a mix that dissolves rapidly, ( and I use a drill with a plastic paddle now to mix the shiat out of it too though LOL! )

tenoverthenose

I have a 55 gallon plastic drum that I keep full of fresh salt water. I have a power head in it that keeps it mixed up. After I use water, then my RO fills it back up and I add whatever salt mix I need to get it back to the desired salinity.

Tom

I have a 55 gallon plastic drum that I keep full of fresh salt water. I have a power head in it that keeps it mixed up. After I use water, then my RO fills it back up and I add whatever salt mix I need to get it back to the desired salinity.

Tom

Nice!

How big is your tank?

tenoverthenose
Nice!

How big is your tank?

I have two tanks, a 34 gallon solana and my 10 gal contest tank. I've had the barrel for years, used to have some other tanks as well.

Most people worry about making sure the salt is perfectly dissolved. That is great and VERY important but you need to also boost the oxygen levels by mixing the water with a good sized powerhead!

The more surface tension the better

The best way is to buy an MJ1200 add the venturi thing to it(lots of 02 exchange) add a 100 watt heater that's super cheap then just let it sit for 24 hours(I'm lazy sometimes). But Then again you can do it in an hour :)

I don't have the time to do a water change that would involve mixing the salt for 24hrs. Every thurs I plug in my RO at about 9am, I have 5 gallons of water by about 12pm and I add salt (about 4 3/4 cups for me every time, give or take a couple tablespoons). I let that mix for a good half an hour and check the salinity with my refractometer. I adjust if necessary to obtain 1.025 salinity. I check the pH and temp with my tester and calcium with my test kit. The calcium is always a little low for me with the salt I use so I bump it up with just some calcium chloride and let it mix for another half an hour and do my water change. Right before I do the water change I always put a drop or two of lugol's in it too, I found that if I don't do this my xenia melt haha. But ya, It's only like a 4-4 1/2 hour process for me. Never had any problems so far.

Archived